• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Back from Portland

We made it. Many of you know that for the Tepehuaje church to be built, we had to get a trailer full of material from Portland, Oregon all the way to Tepehuaje, Mexico. Some of you had heard the stories of Pastor Melesio spending the night in jail on the leg from Mexicali to Guadalajara. Friday, May 13, we finished the journey. I returned home after spending four days driving from Los Angeles to Mexicali to Portland and back to Los Angeles, thus ending what were four of the most difficult weeks of work and ministry in which I have ever been involved.

As I reflect back I have been trying to identify the lessons God has for me from this journey. Perhaps the biggest is that things are in God's hands. No matter how much I try, ultimately, I cannot change that fact. Being from the US, I value productivity, and being in charge, it frequently falls to me to make sure things are on track, people are busy and involved, and that materials for our ministry are on site when they need to be. For almost four weeks, God kept thwarting my plans. Most likely because they were not His plans.

The trailer was late. Pastor Melesio spent time in jail. Our lumber provider stole our money for the materials, never providing what we needed and not telling us until hours before a team of men from Oregon arrived. When we found new materials, the cost was more than double our budget. The truck broke down on the return trip to Portland. It was incredible. And yet at every turn when I thought it was time to throw in the towel, God came through, like He always does. Because God is good! All the time. And He is in control, in spite of how it sometimes looks. I think I must not have been living that reality and God felt it was time for a little reeducation.

Any ways, that's it. The family of God has a place where they can worship in Tepehuaje, Mexico. They are incredibly grateful and excited about what God is doing in their city. The trailer has been returned to our team in Portland, Oregon. I am now home for a few weeks to prepare for our next Adventure.

Keep praying for us and check back often to see what's new with Adventures in Life Ministry.

Comments on "Back from Portland"

 

post a comment