• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Show Me State


I am frequently on the road as part of my work with Adventures in Life Ministry. As a professional short term missionary, I consider it one of the "perks" of my job to get to visit new areas.

Later tonight I will be getting on a plane to Oaxaca, Mexico for a week of ministry with some of our church partners from Ensenada.

But my travels also take me to areas of the US that are new to me. Last week I had the chance to be in Missouri, also known as the Show Me State.

Part of my trip took me to Kansas City and the College Basketball Experience. This place is a fans dream. You get full sized courts to mess around on, three point shooting arenas, dunking opportunities, (they even worked for a white guy like me!) and basically lots of fun.


If you have kids that like basketball, take them to this place if you get the chance. It is an incredible place. In addition to all of the interactive stuff, you can even have a little of the ESPN experience. That's my brother on my right as we called the highlights of a basketball game in front of us on the teleprompter.

We also got in a little historical perspective on my trip. I was able to see the Harry Truman Library in Independence and the Missouri State Capital in Jefferson City.

The Truman Library was fantastic. It gave a balanced view of Truman and the decisions he had to make. I really appreciated the interactive exhibits that asked us to make our own decisions on some of the more difficult issues President Truman faced.

Having visited the Carter Library in October, I left wishing there was a way for more people to visit these wonderful museums and learn about our former presidents. Even if you did not agree with their policies.

But my visit to the state capital was the highlight of my trip. First off, I was there the day the legislature opened their new session. So the entire government was there and the place was wide open! I'm not kidding on this. Out west you have to go through more security to pay a ticket than I saw in the capital. Amazing.

We walked the halls of the capital as if it was our house. Which technically it is, but in our post 9/11 world, this kind of access is a rare treat.

I was able to enter the House Chambers, a few congressional offices, see the exhibits, literally everything. I still can't believe we were able to walk literally anywhere in the building completely unmolested.

[That's me in the Missouri House Chambers]

Dee who runs the Missouri based blog Conservatism With Heart frequently brags on her state. I can see why.

I'll be out of touch for a few days, until then, Dios les bendiga!

Comments on "The Show Me State"

 

Blogger Pastor David Curtis said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Dave,

You look pretty confident behind that ESPN desk. Could it be a second career calling for you? You could even follow in the footsteps of Keith Olbermann and go from ESPN to covering the news.

The possibilities are endless.

 

Blogger Shaw Kenawe said ... (3:41 PM) : 

Blessing on all of us today.

I do so hope that we can be Americans who disagree with each other without demonizing each other.

I'd really love to hear people say something like, "Hey, I disagree very strongly and for this reason..."

I agree with the person who, in my comments, pointed out that extremist on both sides poison us. We can't afford anymore poison. Too much, and we die.

Peace.

 

Blogger Doug said ... (5:15 PM) : 

Hello, I actually came across your blog by doing a search for common interests in sports and fantasy football.
I particularly like you site because it has a lot in common with many of my friends; both business and social from across the country.
If you do not mind, I will be adding it to my list of blogs to follow.
Feel free to take a look at mine.

http://fumbledreturns.blogspot.com/

I am new to blogging but learning fast...

Doug.

 

Blogger Dionne said ... (9:49 PM) : 

Wow, when you were at the Truman Library you were only about 20 minutes away from me. Next time let me know and we'll have to meet up there.

I looooove the Truman Museum. I've been there several times. I'm a big fan of Harry Truman, he was a Democrat back when Democrats still cared about National Security (IMHO) and he didn't care about the polls.

Did you get to tour his house? Thats a neat treat as well.

Jefferson City is great too. The kids and I went there for a day to get a taste of capitol hill as well. Glad you you got a taste of Missouri.

 

post a comment