• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Peace and Quiet

Try this. When you get home tonight, go to your telephone and after you listen to and delete all of your messages, turn off the answering machine. For good. You’ll be amazed at how much better your home life will be. Yeah I know, but you can do it.

I learned this little kernel of truth quite by accident. About a week ago the power went off in our building for an extended period of time in the middle of the night. I don’t have a battery backup on my machine, so I lose the message function until I reset it and record another message. Well, I didn’t do that right away. And I finally realized what I had been missing. Peace and quiet when I get home.

I was unconsciously dreading opening my front door knowing I would be greeted by the incessant beeps that told me I had messages. And yet I did not know what I could do. I wanted to come home, enjoy the peace and quiet, my family, and relax. But I always had messages. There it was…beep, beep, beep, beep. Every night. And it was never anything earth shattering. Usually something like this. “Hey Dave, sorry I missed you; I’ll try you on your cell” or “Hi Dave, guess you’re not there, catch ya later.”

At the end of a long day at work, do you really want to come home and listen to more messages? From people that have already called you on every communication device you own, and have e-mailed to boot?

The power outage freed me. But it took about a week before I realized it. Last night when my wife and I got home, we noticed the phone was not beeping. We had no messages. Because we had still had not reset the machine. And we looked at each other and it hit us, how nice it was not having messages waiting. I checked with my friends today. They’re still alive. I missed no important news, no big crisis. The world is okay. Everyone that needed to was able to reach me.

Let’s face it, if it is a necessity, we can be reached. We all have cell phones, computers, and can be reached at work. We can get our e-mail sent to our Blackberrys or whatever other PDA we use. Give your home a break. Make it your sanctuary. Lose the machine, get your number on the do not call list, and then enjoy the sounds of silence when you get home after a long day at work.

You and your family will be glad you did.

Comments on "Peace and Quiet"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

I could not agree more!

Dave's Wife

 

Blogger Tommy said ... (5:34 AM) : 

As the pastor of a small but aging church, I find that the folks often wil not try my cell. I do not get as many messages as you, Dave, but your post resonates with all full-time ministry officials, I am sure. What I really don't like (this is beginning to sound like a Seinfeld routine) is call-waiting. How rude is it to be talking to someone and then they leave to answer another call and there you sit waiting.

Anway, glad to see another sports fan who loves Jesus. I'm in off-season mode now as I blog the Cubs six months out of the year. Now I am just enjoying Blessings & Other Stuff.

 

post a comment