• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, October 02, 2006

Intrusions

Sometimes life is just intrusive. You know what I mean. Things seem like they are going good, and then life breaks in and lets a little reality just smack you upside your head. Today was a day like that.


I've been working on a little political post lately. I was planning on putting the finishing touches on it this last weekend and then posting either today or tomorrow. Then the first call came. My wife Chelle's cousin who has been battling breast cancer has been found to have cancer in her spine and brain as well. I've known Karla almost as long as my wife. We went to school together, all having grown up in the same area. She has four kids, the oldest a year younger than my son Joseph. I was stunned. Isn't this stuff for older folks? Young, vibrant folks are not supposed to be gettin' cancer. But here we are. I am told the type of cancer she has is treatable. That's good news. But would you pray for Karla and her family? She can use it.


The second call came from my wife this morning as I was headed to the office. One of my best friends in Mexico, Pastor Jesus Vera has been having some serious medical problems. He lives in Ensenada but needs to travel to Guadalajara for treatment. As a Baptist pastor, he can receive free medical treatment at the Baptist hospital there, which is one of the best hospitals in the country. I am sure he will be well taken care of, but before he can go, he must get the necessary funds together for the trip. Pray for Jesus, and his family too.

It is amazing the things we can think are important in this life. Most of those items really just belong in the bag called "stuff." When friends and relatives are sick, when we are confronted with the possibility of loss, it is then that we remember how temporary life and friendships really can be.


I don't like it when I have to be reminded. I don't like it when life intrudes. I wish I was more attuned to this on a day by day basis, but like a lot of folks, sometimes I am just too busy. I'm working on that. What about you?

Comments on "Intrusions"

 

Blogger Dionne said ... (11:04 PM) : 

I think you will love my post today. I gave you the rational liberal award. Although maybe this will be bad for your reputation like Joe Lieberman getting in trouble for going on Sean Hannity's show and liking him. Nevertheless I think you will enjoy it :-). You made my night last night. Especially after having to deal with libs coming on my blog saying sicko stuff that had to be deleted.

 

post a comment