• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, April 28, 2008

On the Road Again

This weekend I will be in Oregon, both east and west. My western time will be spent mostly in and around the Portland area. As part of my job with Adventures in Life Ministry, I try to make sure I get some personal time with our participating churches from that area.

In the east, I will be in the little community of Burns. It has become one of my favorite places to visit, not because of the area so much, but because I have so many friends living there. After 12 years of serving with us, I think I know over half of the families of Faith Baptist Church of Harney County, and count many of them as some of my closet friends and colleagues in ministry.

I will also be picking up a new lap top computer. A very good friend knew we needed something new, and graciously offered to purchase a new one for us. So we're getting a nice shiny new Mac! I've never had a Mac, so for the next couple of weeks, I'll be learning a ton about the differences between Mac's and PC's.

Meanwhile, while I am gone, check out this video. As we see the church responding to a dominant consumer mentality in the US, this little video hits a strong chord. It is appropriately titled, "The ME Church." You should also check out ME Worship on You Tube. If you grew up watching those cheesy music commercials of the 70's, it'll bring back back some good memories.

Enjoy, and when I get back next week, we'll take a short look at where the Democratic Party is with their nominating debacle.

Comments on "On the Road Again"

 

Blogger Patrick M said ... (6:52 AM) : 

First of all, that church may be promising just a little too much.

Also, being the tech head that I am, the secret to operating a Mac is to ask someone who's young and not that computer literate to help you. I have been playing with computers for almost 30 years (I'm 34) and I have the occasional problem with the Macs because I think in terms of Windows. It's very different, but also very easy, unless you're really good with Windows, that is.

 

Blogger Bullfrog said ... (8:50 PM) : 

Congrats on the new computer! I made "the switch" from PC to Mac about a year ago, for both my work AND home machines and am really glad I did.

I think you will enjoy it, and the learning curve isn't that high.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (8:07 AM) : 

Patrick, while semi efficient, I am not a power windows user so I'll be like a child on it!

Thanks for the encouragement Bullfrog!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 PM) : 

Oldie but goodie. I posted this some time ago and got a good laugh. It's funny and unfortunate at the same time. Too many "shephards" giving false assurance to many people in these "churches." I at one time belong to such a church. What a burden we have to, "Preach the word." Stay in the text and preach the text. It will force you to stay in context and deal with the tough issues that you will be forced to preach. If you like evan. blogs, check mine at calledout.wordpress,com or my pastor and friend at irishcalvinist.com

Blessings
Wisecarver

 

post a comment