• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Barack Obama



I grew up believing that one day, if I worked hard, and really wanted to, I could be the President of the United States.

I never doubted that fact. Even though I grew up in a mostly working class neighborhood outside of Los Angeles, California, it never occured to me that what I believed was not true.

And then I met the most wonderful person in the world, and she happened to be black. People told us Chelle and I were nuts to get married. They told us it was hard enough to be young and married, let alone married to someone of another race.

People who loved us dearly even played the "Think of the kids" card.

I soon learned that what I taken for granted, things like open doors and opportunity, would not necessarily be available to my son, a mixed race kid from a middle class background.

Until today. Today I can tell my son, and one day my grandchildren, that they too can grow up to be President of the United States of America.

Today I am truly proud of my country. We are not there yet, but we are surely closer.

Comments on "President Barack Obama"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

I was thinking similar things this morning David. I thought about how I used to tell Joseph, when he was little, that he could be anything he wanted to be, even president of the United States but how I didn't really believe it. There was no way that I was going to burst my child's bubble or let him know that I thought his world was limited by color.

Like most mixed race kids these days though, color was the last thing in Joseph's mind. At 25, he doesn't want to be president and he still doesn't care much about the limits of color. He doesn't yet see the significance for his future children or realize that when he says, "You can be anything you want to be in the whole world!" to his children, the truth that was yet to be for him is a reality now and forever!

There is 20 years between my son and my brother's son. I rejoice that my nephew, Jay, who is 5 and my niece, Genesis, who is 6 they witnessed history today. More though, I rejoice that they can make any kind of history that they want. The doors are wide open now.

You're right Babe. We are not there yet, but we surely are closer!

Love you,
Chelle

 

Blogger repsac3 said ... (10:28 PM) : 

Just like right after Obama won the election, reading your blog & PatrickM's "Sane Political Discourse" restores my faith in & appreciation for my fellow Americans.

Post election, it was Patirck's post that really blew me away--given his serious partisanship, he showed great class in saying the things he did about Obama & his supporters, post-election--but this time it's you (& your wife) who bring a few tears to my eye with your stirring words about your 20-something "kid" & his elementary school aged cousins, and what the occasion of Obama's inauguration means to each of you, and for all of them.

Thanks for posting it.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Rep, Patrick was indeed full of class.

Chelle, you are the best!

 

Blogger Shaw Kenawe said ... (11:02 PM) : 

Dave, you and Chelle are very fortunate to have each other.

You sound like truly loving, giving people. Blessings on you and your family.

We have a racially mixed couple in my family, my sister's son and his wife, and their child is stunningly beautiful, and very accomplished, academically, and in the arts.

A cousin of mine adopted a Columbian Indian boy 20 years ago. They have on biological child and decided to adopt their second. Both these boys are high achievers, and involved in the arts.


I feel as you do with regard to Obama's inauguration.

I still have to pinch myself, because it still seems more dream than real.

I do have such high hopes--but am also realistic and understand that President Obama, like all our presidents, will go through some very rough times, and his popularity will dip.

I'm just counting on his innate intelligence and generosity of spirit to get him through those dark days that will surely come.

Peace.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:12 AM) : 

Today and ONLY today I am truly proud of my country.

 

post a comment