• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Inner Voice of Love

I thought today was a good day for a couple of God items.

I am currently reading "La Voz Interior del Amor" by Henri Nouwen. Nouwen was a Catholic priest who taught at Harvard, Yale, and Notre Dame before he felt God calling him to serve with developmentally disabled people at the L'Arche community in Toronto.

I am reading this book in Spanish. Not because I can understand it all, but because I can't. And so just like when I started reading philosophy, I read it with a dictionary at my side. It is slow, tedious, and oh so frustrating at times, but with practice, I know I'll get better.

I first became acquainted with Nouwen's writings after my wife gave me a book of his devotions. Nouwen has an uncanny ability to challenge my thinking, theology, and where I stand with Jesus.

It is where I need to be.

I also came across this posting on Jim Wallis' blog entitled God's Politics. It is an interesting take on the women in ministry issue.

Here is the classic text.

“A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety” (1 Tim. 2:11-12, TNIV).

Go to the blog to see the exegesis that Mimi Haddad has. You may not agree, but at least you'll be pushed to think.

Enjoy.

Comments on "The Inner Voice of Love"

 

Blogger James' Muse said ... (9:05 AM) : 

I really liked the article. This is not the first I've heard of this exegesis, in fact its becoming a more commonly accepted reading of these kinds of passages. In my marriage, we try to have a partnership with neither of us being "in charge" over the other.

We're only two years into this experiment, but so far its been working out pretty well. Keeps communication lines open when we don't make decisions until we both can agree on a course of action.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (10:03 AM) : 

I was reading someone else on something like that and he said, regarding making decisions jointly, that when a couple does that, it removes the ability of one to say to the other, "I told you so."

I wish I had learned that earlier in life.

It was/is good counsel

 

Blogger James' Muse said ... (12:09 PM) : 

I've seen too many couples not reach their full potential due to those passages being read wrong. "the man is the head of the house, the Bible says so." I mean seriously, so many couples just vote for the same candidate because "its the husband's job to do politics" and the woman just votes for what he says.

Its sad to see.

 

post a comment