• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 20, 2009

Meandering in Mexico

(A great picture of a mototaxi in Mitla, where I am currently serving. No that is not me!)

Things just happen slower here.
No matter how often I experience this, I still struggle with it.

Immigration is a tough issue. There will be no solution unless and until both the US and Mexico decide to deal with this together.

Fiesta is more than an event, it is a way of life. When you struggle to meet your daily needs, a fiesta helps a community to set aside their struggles, their worries, their pobreza, and just live a few days in pure joy.

You walk a lot in Mexico. Is it any wonder I wear out so many shoes when I walk a few miles each day.

I have too much stuff. As I travel here and live amongst the people, I am amazed how life goes on without all the things I am convinced are essentials.

The church here is a lot like the US church. Afraid of change, struggling to remain relevant, and looking for a voice in the 21st century.

Poverty can be brutal. I don’t know how someone can break the cycle of poverty when the minimum wage is less than $5.00 a day.

There is a lot of variety in tortillas. I think I prefer the northern flour tortillas, hand made, as opposed to the Oaxacan tlayudas, or the popular corn variety of Guadalajara.

I like riding in a mototaxi.
Think of this small town transportation as a souped up gas powered golf cart. A ride in town costs only 5 pesos.

It really is Febrero Loco. The weather today was hot during the day and freezing once the sun went down, proving the Mexican adage that the weather in February really is crazy.

I am currently finishing up a two week stint in Mexico. I have been serving in Mitla, Oaxaca and will be heading to Puebla and Mexico City for a few days before I return to the US.

More later, but until then, nos vemos!

Comments on "Meandering in Mexico"

 

Blogger Shaw Kenawe said ... (4:15 PM) : 

We all have too much stuff, David.

I love George Carlin's routine about stuff.

I'll post it on my blog and you can come and listen to it.

Peace.

 

post a comment