• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, January 04, 2010

The 2010 Rose Bowl

As a young boy growing up in Southern California I always dreamed of going to see the Rose Bowl. For those of you who are not quite so sports inclined, the Rose Bowl is simply the greatest annual college football spectacle in the United States.

This year, for the first time, I was fortunate enough to get a chance to attend. I have a great friend from Oregon who somehow found out he had an extra ticket and so there I was, with 94,000 of my closest friends basking in what is the biggest party in So Cal.

Now for me, this year was extra special because Ohio State was playing. Not that I like their football team, I don't. But their band was there. And as some of you may know, in addition to growing up loving sports, I was also a band geek.

So that means I was especially excited to see the Ohio State band, "The Best Damn band in the Land" perform their historic spell out. My old high school band director was a graduate of Ohio State, was tuba player, and was once chosen to "dot the i" in Ohio.

This band is off the charts amazing, but on this day, I was disappointed. Because instead of the usual large spell out, we got two smaller scripts so that fans on both sides of the stadium could enjoy the moment. Still good, but not the what I was expecting.

Over all though, a dream come true. Thanks Gordon. [That's him above in the crazy Oregon fanatic get up.] Enjoy the pictures.



[The Buckeye Band getting ready to step off.]


[The start of the spell out.]


[Sunset on the San Gabriel Mountains, spectacular.]

Comments on "The 2010 Rose Bowl"

 

Blogger Beth said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I knew I had a kindred spirit with you somehow Dave, I am a band geek, too! Congrats on your chance to see the Ohio State band in action!

 

Blogger rockync said ... (3:00 PM) : 

Looks and sounds like an exciting time! Great way to start the new year, so glad you got the chance to fulfill a dream...

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (3:41 PM) : 

Thanks Rocky...

Yes Beth, that "band geek" thing never seems to go away...

 

Blogger Tim said ... (4:32 PM) : 

"Down with Ohio state, they're a no nothing party school!"

Old U of Michigan fight song. Oh how we long for the old rivalry between Woody and Bo! Alas, our beloved Wolverines have really gone downhill in the last few years. I remember watching them play in several Rose Bowls. Looks like a blast was had by all Dave.

 

Blogger Patrick M said ... (8:06 PM) : 

Not a big college football fan. And this is strange as I grew up in a town where high school football was a religion.

Still, it would have been great to be seeing the premier college team from my great home state of Ohio winning a game. Glad you had the opportunity.

Oh, and Michigan sucks. :)

 

Blogger TAO said ... (7:40 AM) : 

Well, in all honesty when I started college I was a jock and I ended up on a floor of a dorm with all the guys who were in the band and or choir....

I called them 'the band fags' and of course they thought I was just your typical dumb jock..

Then when I got them to start an intramural flag football team we all became life long friends...

I never realized how hard they worked and how much they practiced.....

I never could get them to get drunk and break beer bottles over their heads...

Now we have annual 'band fag' reunions and they let me have an honorary membership!

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (8:46 AM) : 

Tao, we always preferred the term band geek over your pejorative.

I remember a few run ins with football players over who worked harder.

For us, I think we marched about 5 miles a day in practice 5 days a week.

It could be pretty brutal.

I think we could make you an honorary band geek.

And for you Big ten people, since I grew up on the West Coast, I am, and always will be a Pac 10 homer!

 

Blogger Beth said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Well hey I carried the bells (nowadays I see that they usually don't march with them but have them on stationary on the field) and those were about 25 lbs, more than the weight of the football players gear I would guess!

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (1:45 PM) : 

Beth, did you play the big chimes as well??

 

Blogger Beth said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Those I only played onstage, even though they were probably taller than me.

What did you play (or maybe still do)?

 

post a comment