• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, September 29, 2011

There's No Such Thing As A Free Lunch


The other day I was in a restaurant with my mother-in-law. Yeah, I know but she offered to pay so I rolled with it.

As we were looking at the menu everyone at the table noticed something horrible under every item. The damn calorie counts!

I don't think anything can spoil a lunch with your mother-in-law quicker than to see how many stinking calories you are gonna be eating for free. It kinda takes the fun out of the afternoon.

Seriously, about the only thing under 8500 calories on the menu was the 4 ounce fish filet boiled in lemon water and served on a bed of lettuce. Who wants that?

I went in for lunch, not an appetizer.

Just looking over the menu was depressing. Are you aware that a hamburger is something like 1250 calories if you get the fries? After my three egg breakfast, sausage, hash browns and toast, 1250 more calories would mean I'd have to skip the ribs for dinner and eat a salad.

Even the free bread is not free... 450 calories, per roll! Must be the butter that is dripping off of it.

Anyways, a friend of mine passed this on to me a while back and for those of you who like to watch what you eat, it has some sage advice on nutrition and health.

If you are like me, I am sure you can appreciate the simple clarity that comes from this list.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans..

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.


CONCLUSION:


Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

By the way... I am actually pretty lucky... my mother-in-law is a jewel!

Labels: , ,

Comments on "There's No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

 

Blogger Z-man said ... (8:24 AM) : 

That list you have going. I was googling the health benefits of green tea yesterday and I thought that's where you were headed. Calories - now if the average person needs a minimum of 1,500 calories or so a day and that doesn't seem like that much then all this other stuff just adds to the overall tally. Even after losing alot of weight myself even when you're just maintaining it that's also a weird phase to be in because you're not dieting anymore of course but you're not going back to your old ways either. It's like semi-dieting. Calorie counts at the fast-food chains have influenced some of my decisions about the menu (shhh, don't tell liberals!).

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Z... those numbers did make me pause... before I ordered by salad... but I still ate the rolls...

 

Blogger BB-Idaho said ... (2:17 PM) : 

Been reading a couple books about
early sea explorers and the curse of scurvy. So " 4 ounce fish filet boiled in lemon water and served on a bed of lettuce. Who wants that?" Deck hands of the
1600s! ..the scurvy varmints!
BTW, like Z-man, I'm one of those
mesomorph wannabees that thinks
requiring three daily meals is
bunk-eat when you are hungry and
leave a bit. (where did I leave my Snickers bar?)

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (6:34 AM) : 

I am with both of you guys. If you are not hungry, why eat. It drives my wife nuts as she she is always telling me I "need" to eat.

You do what I do and work with people who have no food to eat and you learn that most of us lucky to live in America probably are not going to be dying of hunger or malnutrition anytime soon.

 

Blogger Z-man said ... (7:30 AM) : 

I was watching the good Dr. Oz yesterday afternoon and some of the things he says! Yeah he got in it when he said apple juice has too much arsenic in it so yesterday he says as one of the 7 Steps to boosting your metabolism and losing weight is to eat every 3 hours. Now to be fair he said to snack part of that time but still every 3 hours? About salads you know the right salad can fill you up for a time. Last two days in a row bought a personal salad at a supermarket and was surprised it tided me over nicely 'til dinner.

 

Blogger Doug said ... (4:08 AM) : 

I've found that I am a social and/or casual eater. If it is there in front of me, easily in reach . . . it's as good as gone.

The key to my diet has been moderation and staying away from convenient food.

 

post a comment