• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Trayvon Martin... are we honoring Christ in how we respond?




I’m not even going to try and wade into the legal mumbo jumbo of the recently decided Trayvon Martin case.  Better, and in some cases, lesser minds than mine, have already said probably too much regarding this tragic situation.

No matter which way the jury decided, a significant part of our country was going to be upset.  Sadly, it is where we are as a country that when there is a significant case that revolves, even tangentially around race, we will not agree.

But it is not that disagreement that has me wishing there was another way.

It is how we have decided to disagree.

I have seen good friends call each other idiots, fools, racists, stupid and ignorant.  And this is just what I can print.  If you look across the blogosphere, from both liberals and conservatives, you will see an amount of vitriol that surpasses anything in recent memory.

Not only does there not seem to be a way to disagree agreeably, there is a surprising lack of interest in either side to consider the point of view of the other.

This would not be so unnerving to me were it not for the fact that a great majority of the people of whom I am speaking claim to either love God, follow in the steps of Jesus, or be Christians.


If you know me, you know I’ve always struggled to connect the teachings of Jesus and Paul to where we live our daily lives.  Some days are better than others for me in this regard.  Like many, I too often lose my temper, especially when driving and will let lose with an indignant dry of “Throckmorton” or worse when someone cuts me off or is not driving as I think he or she should.

It’s a bad habit and I know it, but I try to keep my indignation confined to my car and my unlucky companions at that moment.

However with the Martin case, people have decided to publicly let loose with all sorts of venom.  Facebook, twitter and any other social sites are full of contempt for anyone who dares to have a different outlook on this case.  It seems as if both sides have dug in, decided the other is wrong, and have thrown caution to wind, confident in the strength of their position.

This is no holds barred trench warfare and let the loudest voice win, regardless of the impact on friendships, or how it makes the family of God look.  Leonard Sweet once asked the question “Would we rather be right, or in relationship?”  Clearly it seems many have chosen to be right.

Is it any wonder people look at Christians and ask why anyone would want to be part of such a loving bunch.

I doubt the angels are rejoicing today in heaven at how we are conducting ourselves.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Comments on "Trayvon Martin... are we honoring Christ in how we respond?"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:38 PM) : 

It is interesting that you, like many others, only mention Travon Martin and no mention of George Zimmerman. That in itself is a form of racism! It was actually the "Geroge Zimmeramn" trial, not the "Travon Martin" trial. I noticed you also did not mention Zimmerman in your "Label's Section".

Just saying.......

 

Blogger Steve Finnell said ... (3:09 AM) : 

You are invited to follow my Christian blog

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (12:07 PM) : 

Jim, I am perplexed to know where the idea of racism, either direct, or reverse comes from?

I am not even dealing with the decision.

My question is whether Jesus was honored by how those of us not involved responded.

As for Zimmerman being left out of my tags, sometimes I miss stuff like that when I am posting on the road, and in a rush.

I would've hoped that people could see my point that as people trying to live out a Christlike life, the way many have chosen to disagree has been anything but Christlike.

What I've seen on comment boards, blogs, in my email, etc certainly makes me wonder.

Not one person responded dealing with that issue... I have to assume they either disagree with me, and feel it alright to hurl names at people, or are just unwilling to consider my point, in light of the teachings of Jesus, and Paul...

 

Blogger Z-man said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I was just reading in my latest issue of Catholic New York the bishops have said something similar to your sentiments here Dave.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (8:02 AM) : 

Great to see you Z-man...

If I'm in the company of Bishops, WOW!

 

Anonymous Spidey said ... (5:22 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger dmarks said ... (8:09 PM) : 

I think some of us get it, Dave. And some do not. I know I have gotten angry over the issue myself... but your words give me pause.

 

Blogger dmarks said ... (8:11 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Spidey... sorry I didn't get a chance to delete you earlier, but you wonderfully proved my point.

You showed you are unable to even discuss the issue in an adult rational way.

And that is a great part of the problem in America today, at least in my opinion. An unwillingness to respect someone even when you disagree with them.

Isn't that, as i posited in my blog, what Jesus calls us to?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Justice for. George Zimmerman

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (11:43 AM) : 

LOL Anon... please tell me what in my post provoked your response...

 

post a comment