• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 08, 2008

For Your Consideration

As you all know it is election time here in these United States. The presumptive nominee of the Republican Party [GOP] is John McCain. McCain is reviled by the conservatives in his party. One of the main reasons for this is that in 2004, he was apparently asked by Senator John Kerry to be his Democratic Vice Presidential running mate, and he considered it. He said no, but he considered it. This got me to thinking.

I am the kind of guy that likes to consider stuff. I'll be honest, sometimes this trait scares me. It causes me to question what for many is settled law, orthodoxy, and legitimate tradition. I may not end up changing my point of view, but I like to try and see things from the other side. Occaisionally I go too far and have to brought back by my friends, but it is who I am.

One area where this can be a real problem is when we get to questions of faith. I cannot be a "the bible says it, I believe it, and that does it" kind of guy. For sure, faith to me is a journey with a certain end, but, the road is likely to be more varied than most of us would prefer. For me, it is a road of questions, doubt, possibilities, and yes considerations. Sometimes of the grandest things, but sometimes of the unthinkable. I am thankful that in spite of all of those questions, doubts, and considerations, God always accepts me, waits for me, loves me, and is there for me.

Comments on "For Your Consideration"

 

Blogger Dionne said ... (3:43 PM) : 

"I am thankful that in spite of all of those questions, doubts, and considerations, God always accepts me, waits for me, loves me, and is there for me."

To that I say a hearty Amen!!

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (3:46 PM) : 

Thanks Dee. Have a great weekend.

 

Blogger Patrick M said ... (4:22 PM) : 

First, I'll have to agree with Dee, because it's Dee.

I know far too many people that live their lives locked into their faith without questioning and taking it apart to see what it really means. This is the mentality that gives us people who blow up abortion clinics and World Trade Centers.

I did a 3-day series of blogs on faith. You might enjoy them. You might laugh. You might even put me on your WTF list forever.

Your God is Dead and No One Cares
The Power of (nothing) Compels You!
Welcome to The High Church Of Me

Ok, you can shudder now.

 

post a comment