• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

News is out today that Hormel Corporation profits are up about 14% over prior year. Their executives are attributing that to an economy that is driving people to buy more... Spam.

Now I don't know about you, but I hate this stuff. I hate the texture of it, the smell, the taste, even the concept of it. Bits and pieces of pork, smashed into a small can held together by some kind of gelatin.

I don't even want to think about what pieces of the pig they put in there. Or for that matter, the turkey Spam. Or the hickory Spam. Or the bacon Spam. Or the hot and spicy Spam. Or the dog Spam. Okay that one is a little over the line, but all the others are genuine. You can check it out here.

My wife loves this stuff. Fried. I guess she grew up eating it. My son loves it too. So we have had to come to a sort of uneasy truce. No Spam when I am around the house. And since I travel and am out of the house often, the deal works.

But I will say there is something Spamish about which I will be eternally grateful. The clip below. It is the classic Monty Python Spam Sketch. Enjoy.


Comments on "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam"

 

Blogger Patrick M said ... (8:41 AM) : 

If you've ever used Gmail, they list spam recipes up at the top while you go about the business of deleting.... spam.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Ironic isn't it?

 

Blogger Bullfrog said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I can only eat SPAM one way: musubi.

Ever tried it?

 

Blogger Mike's America said ... (6:16 PM) : 

Is Spam really that much cheaper than other meat? I doubt it.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (10:48 PM) : 

It may not be anymore, but I know it once was. And, being canned, it was easy to stock and store.

 

post a comment