• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 02, 2008

It's Good to be Back!

Well I’m back, and it feels good to be home. I've been on the road almost three weeks.

The first chunk of time was spent at the annual Fellowship of Short Term Mission Leaders in Atlanta. Each year about a hundred or so leaders in the field get together for fellowship, training, and trying to make sense of what God has in store for our various ministries over the coming months. It is one of the highlights of my year.

Then it was on to Oaxaca, Mexico. This is where I am helping give leadership to a new 501(c)3 public benefit organization dedicated to helping Mexican farmers increase crop yields and water retention. We believe that if we are successful, families in one of the poorest regions of Mexico will be better able to support themselves and provide for their children over the long haul.

After a week there, I spent two days in the Coyoacan area of Mexico City. This is my favorite part of the beast that is the capital city of Mexico. Charming, quaint, and full of character, it is where Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera lived for many years. The picture below is the outside of their actual house in Coyoacan.


I was there to perform a wedding ceremony for a former staff member of Adventures in Life Ministry, Dalia Castro. She was marrying a young man named Cesar and I was asked to be part of her special day. It was a real honor for me. And for those of you wondering, yes, I did the ceremony totally in Spanish.

My final stop was 7 days on the beach with my wife and friends in Puerto Vallarta. Vallarta is the quintessential Mexican beach resort. Tropical weather, hotels with beaches, lots of pools, and low cost margaritas. What more could you ask for?

So that’s it. Later today or tomorrow I’ll post on the upcoming elections. No endorsements, just some thoughts.

In the meantime, here are a couple of pictures of the typical late October sunsets for which Puerto Vallarta is famous. The first one is a silhouette of the Vallarta pirate ship, "Marigalante."



Comments on "It's Good to be Back!"

 

Blogger Patrick M said ... (9:55 PM) : 

Glad to see you back from the good work, Dave. Must have been nice to get out of the sewer that is politics here. I just finished my last pre-election thoughts, and will be glad it's over come Wednesday, no matter which crappy president we get stuck with.

 

Blogger Bullfrog said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Welcome back man! I missed your point of view the last few weeks.

 

post a comment