• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thoughts on Hume

[Dave & Chelle, Brian & Connie, Jerry & Debbie, and Jesus & Mirtha]

Gotcha didn't I? You figured a philosophy guy like myself would be posting something on David Hume with that title. Nope.

Instead it is Hume Lake, where I went last weekend with a group of friends for a couples retreat.

Over the years I have been to quite a few camps, retreats, seminars, and conferences on how to do this or that better, be more effective at something, communicate your ideas more clearly, or learn some new discipline.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of new ideas to fix things. Mostly it comes down to us doing the hard work to put those ideas to work in our lives. Something a lot of folks are either reluctant or unable to do.

Which brings me to why I went. I mean if I was only going to get so much out of the conference part of a weekend like this, why would I go?

For the fellowship and community with a fantastic group of friends.

And the time away, together with my wife, from the day to day stuff of life.

More than any quick idea, or three step plan to improve a relationship, time away together is one of the most important building blocks of a successful growing relationship.

You should try it.

Thanks Chelle for a great weekend!

Comments on "Thoughts on Hume"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:28 PM) : 

LOL,

I figured with all of the moral relativism arguments that philosophy had to be your weakness.

Now I know.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (6:37 PM) : 

Thanks for stopping by Blue.

 

Blogger dmarks said ... (4:33 PM) : 

Isn't Hume a character on ABC-TV "Lost" ?

 

post a comment