• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Maestro, A Little Music Por Favor

I was on the road a couple of weeks back and I was doing some thinking. Yeah, I know for those of you who know me that may seem like a bit of stretch but hey, miracles do indeed happen.

Anyways, my thoughts wandered to music. Probably because my little AM/FM cassette player was blaring a strictly Beatles broadcast.

Three hours of only John, Paul, George, and Ringo. As the show neared completion, I realized that they had only scratched the surface of their musical catalog.

Now I grew up on The Beatles. I watched them on Ed Sullivan, had a ton of their 45’s, and was heartbroken when they called it splits. For me, they are the big kahuna. El mero mero. The best of the best.

But for others, who knows.

So here is what I was wondering.

Aside from The Beatles, what other band, or performer from the modern era, [post 1950, and yes, this eliminates Beethoven and his buddies for you classical music buffs] can carry an entire three hour broadcast, week in and week out. And keep the quality up.

Here’s my top five. See what you think.

The Beatles. Enough said. Hands down, the biggest act since 1960.

Stevie Wonder. A huge catalog of music spanning five decades.

Elvis. While I am not a huge fan, I can certainly acknowledge his importance.

U2. In my opinion, the only current act that belongs.

Frank Sinatra. Frank was the man. Cool, hip, and good-looking to boot. And his ability to interpret a song will never be matched.

So there you have it.

If I was pressed to add a couple of honorable mentions, I would probably add Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, and the Rolling Stones.

Now it’s your turn, let me know who I missed.

Comments on "Maestro, A Little Music Por Favor"

 

Blogger Doug said ... (12:40 PM) : 

Well, lets see...
Anybody who routinely performs, or at least has in the past, three hour concerts.
Your honorable mentions definately come to mind.
As do Billy Joel, Elton John, Queen, (when they were all alive) - but hey, neither are all the Beatles - so I feel OK including them, Jimmy Buffet, Fleetwood Mac... Just to name a few...

 

Blogger James' Muse said ... (12:43 PM) : 

I think I agree with your choices here. But here's an even more recent one that could fit there: John Mayer. He could easily do three hours of quality music between his solo act and his band, the John Mayer Trio.

Have you heard his cover of "Free Fallin'"? Better than the original. No kidding.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (1:24 PM) : 

James, James, James, can Mayer carry three hours week in and week out without getting boring or being too repetitive?

As Doug pointed out, I think Billy Joel could do that, as could Elton.

However Doug, as much as I like Queen, I am not sure their catalog is big enough to pull this off, but I did think of them

On a related note, does anyone else think Adam Lambert from American Idol should do a Queen song?

The guy is pure Freddy Mercury!

 

Blogger James' Muse said ... (1:57 PM) : 

I think Mayer could because of the mix of his solo career and his band music being different.

Ben Folds is another one. His catalogue is huge for how relatively recent his music is.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (2:54 PM) : 

But James, Folds only has about 8 albums, double Mayer.

Those numbers probably cannot match what these oters have right now.

Maybe in 10 years or so.

Besides, in comparison to those I listed, and Doug too, only about seven people have ever heard of your guys.

Think bigger dude!

 

Blogger James' Muse said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Thats why I didn't replace any of yours. These will be the ones my generation is talking about when we're your age.

I am excited about the Beattles remastered coming out 9/9/09!

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (3:43 PM) : 

We'll see James. But something tells me my guys will still be the big hitters.

I heard about those remastered releases.

They will probably be the last gasp of the Album/CD industry

 

Blogger Doug said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Oh, thanks to the wonders of radio, I forgot an obvious one...

Eagles

JM probably could, by hey, he's not in my music library...

Sorry.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (4:30 PM) : 

Maybe so Doug.

I have them in a separate catagory along with the James Taylor/Linda Ronstadt crowd.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (1:40 AM) : 

The only one that I could add would be the Mountain Goats. Fabulous band, fabulous name.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (8:29 AM) : 

Diana, do you think they could carry a whole show? Week in and week out?

They are are probably still building their catalog.

 

Blogger TAO said ... (8:42 AM) : 

Bruce Springsteen?

Emmylou Harris?

Van Morrison?

I miss buying albums...

 

Blogger Diana said ... (5:31 PM) : 

They've been around 18 years and they've done quite a bit. I mean, they're too obscure to ever get their own show, but I think that they could carry it.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (8:41 AM) : 

TAO, yes I left out some CW folks on that. Certainly Emmylou Harris, Probably Johnny Cash, maybe Willie Nelson, and my wife brought up The Isley Bros, because their catalog is huge.

I think the Jackson family could carry the show too.

 

Blogger Shaw Kenawe said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Here are my picks:

Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
The Talking Heads
Ella Fitzgerald

and the inimitable Theodore Roosevelt "Hound Dog" Taylor.

My favorite song: "Gimme Back My Wig and Let Your Head Go Bald.

 

Anonymous Gordon Mallon said ... (8:15 PM) : 

The Grateful Dead have their own channel on XM 24-7. So does the Boss. The Dead have all those bootlegs of 3 1/2 hour live shows floating around. They don't repeat very often on the Dead channel.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (9:16 PM) : 

Gordon, you are right on that about XM. I was listening to a little of the Boss and Elvis on my drive this weekend.

Shaw, Dylan could do this too. Good catch!

 

Blogger Héctor Portillo said ... (2:38 PM) : 

Dylan, Pink Floyd and Iron Maiden...

 

Anonymous Mike Miller said ... (6:25 PM) : 

I realize I'm late on this post, but Dave, I remember you were a big fan of the Monkees. What gives? You left them off your list.

From the dark side, my additions include my favorite all time rock machine, the Rolling Stones, and the smooth vocals of Nat King Cole-he has a ton of music. On second thought I suppose I'd tire of hours and hours of Mick and friends, so I withdraw my nomination of the AARP band.

 

post a comment