• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Swimming and His Kingdom

Yesterday I went swimming at a local swimming pool close to Mitla, Mexico, where I am currently serving. I went with Julian who is 6 and Ruth, who is 8. Their dad is a pastor in this area and because of his work and the wages here, a summer swim is typically out of the question.

I have known this family for years and have been staying with them the last couple of weeks. We have come to be close, communicating often and praying for each others families despite the distance between us.

So as I was coming to the close of my time in Southern Mexico for 2009, I had an idea. Why not have a couple members of my team join me, and take the kids to a public pool, giving them a great day, and their parents some much needed alone time together to hang out, or get some projects done?

We arrived at 11:30am and stayed until the place closed at 5:00pm. Now I'll admit, spending most of the day swimming, flying down water slides and just chillin' is not your typical mission activity. But to me, the church needs to do a lot more of this type of stuff.

Things like learning about the lives of people can give you incredible insight into a culture and how to effectively serve. When you spend time listening, you can really begin to see where you can make a difference.

This year, because of a weak US economy, increased violence in Mexico, and the Swine Flu, less people have served with us than in the past. That has given me more time to just spend with locals here in Mexico.

It is that time that has allowed me to see that a pastors kids just need a fun day. Or someone needs an invitation for a cup of coffee. Or a local church member desperately needs a shoulder to cry on.

None of this happens when you are swallowed up in the busyness of ministry. It happens when you stop, take a breather, and look around.

And see that stuff like swimming can be used to bring people a little closer to God's Kingdom.

(for more of dave's thoughts on short-term mission, check out his ministry blog at www.ailministry.blogspot.com)

Comments on "Swimming and His Kingdom"

 

Blogger TAO said ... (9:49 AM) : 

Sometimes its just the little things, which we overlook, seem to have the greatest effect on others...

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (3:49 PM) : 

Well said Tao.

 

Blogger Pastor David Curtis said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Sounds like a fun return to youth ministry to me...nothing like gettin' paid to play at a waterpark.:)

Anytime you want to take my kids for the day you are welcome to it.

 

Blogger James' Muse said ... (6:26 PM) : 

When I was down there with you, I think the things I value the most are the friendships I still have; friends like Camilo and others, and the ties to those areas where we served for more than just a week. I still remember when we'd go out for coffee as a team and have bilingual conversations on anything from theology to politics...those were what I remember the best.

 

post a comment