• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Significance

You're getting up, taking a shower and you have a full day planned. Pretty typical stuff.

You know you need to get into the office, and since it is Wednesday, we have a prayer time that I am supposed to lead.

I'll check my e-mail, make a few phone calls, and then check the blogs. I mean, I gotta keep up on the political madness, right?

After that I'll double check my fantasy football team, drink my tenth cup of coffee, and then get to work on a year end report for Adventures in Life, the ministry where I serve.

And then I'll head home, kiss the wife, kick the dog, oops, no dog, turn on the news, Facebook a little, and relax.

After a great dinner, we'll play a game or two and then head to bed. So I can do it all over again tomorrow.

At least that was the plan. And then the telephone rang.

I saw it on my wife's face, heard it in her voice and instantly knew something terrible had happened. A good friend of ours had taken an overdose and died early this morning, leaving behind a wife and three kids under ten.

Suddenly, all that other stuff doesn't seem to matter much.

It's amazing how much time we spend on stuff that has no eternal significance.

Comments on "Significance"

 

Blogger James' Muse said ... (3:51 PM) : 

Sorry to hear about your loss, Dave. You are in my prayers.

 

Blogger Shaw Kenawe said ... (1:48 PM) : 

Dear Dave,

I am so sorry. I have personal knowledge of this sort of bottomless grief, since someone in my family was lost the same way almost 2 years ago.

Comfort each other and the family who is suffering. There's not much more anyone can do except be their when you're needed.

My condolences to your friend's family, you and your wife.

Shaw

 

post a comment