• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Satire, Flash Mobs, and Parodies... Oh My!

Lately we tend to see a new group of flash mobs invading our cities every summer. Everything is fair game from "Thriller" to "Everybody Dance Now."

So here's my question, what will be the big one this year?

Here's one from last year, using a little ditty from the "Sound of Music."



Parodies and satires have been around for awhile now. I can remember listening to some of the old classic satires from folks like Tom Lehrer and Spike Jones on the old Dr. Demento Show on KMET Radio, Sunday nights in Los Angeles.

Parodies are another thing altogether, and for the current popularity of that, perhaps we have none other than Weird Al Yankovic to thank. His hilarious send ups of current hits were a staple of the 80's. Think "Like a Sturgeon" or "My Bologna," mocking Madonna and The Knack respectively.

Today I came across a funny riff on the enormously popular "All the Single Ladies" from Beyonce.

It's called "All the Wrinkled Ladies." If you know the original, I think you'll like this "newer" version. It's from Anita Renfro.



See you soon. I'll be serving in Mexico for awhile, so my postings, and comments will be sparse. Blessings!

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on "Satire, Flash Mobs, and Parodies... Oh My!"

 

Blogger Doug said ... (2:55 PM) : 

Oh my indeed. I actually knew all the references in your post.

 

post a comment