• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Games People Play


For as long as I can remember, I've been a gamer. And not the type most people think when they hear that from someone from Las Vegas. I don't play the slots, the poker machines, roulette, or anything else likely to take away a large chunk of my money.

I am not a Mortal Combat player and I've never been in a Halo Tournament. I will admit to a love for some of the original NES and Sega games, but that is about as electronic as I get.

For me when I say I am a gamer, think cards and board games. Classic or new. Doesn't matter, I just like the experience of sitting around a table with friends and having some fun.

So here's my list of what I am playing this week.

Pandemic - My son got this game from his girlfriend and it is completely different from anything I have ever played. Because you work together to beat the game. My wife says that I am already addicted, and she may be right.

So here's the scoop. Working as a team, you strive to stop deadly outbreaks of diseases before they overwhelm the planet. I've never played a game with people where at the end of the game, no one is pissed off because their friend beat them.

If you are the type that gets frustrated because someone always has to win, and you tire of the constant competitiveness in games, Pandemic is for you.

Contrario. - This is a great word game for kids and adults that causes you to really twist the way you think about words, phrases, and sayings. It goes quick, needs little or no space, and you can take it to your neighborhood coffee bar pretty easily. All in all, a great game.

Quiddler and Five Crowns - Quiddler is card game where you make words. Five Crowns is similar, but you make combinations of runs and groups of numbers and suits. Think Rummy with a twist.

Here is what I like about both of these games. They are easy to learn, the games go quick, and they allow for plenty of conversation around the table as you play, perfect for date nights and playing in a group.

All of these games can be played with two people, something not always possible with the new generation of games out there.

Each of the links above will take you to a site called Board Game Geek, which I guess I am.

You'll find lots of info on all sorts of games and some great prices in the event you find yourself longing for a little quiet entertainment with family and friends sometime soon.

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Games People Play"

 

Blogger Beth said ... (4:05 PM) : 

Our new favorite party game is called Wits and Wagers, where everyone has to answer questions with numeric answers, such as how many steps are there in the Eiffel Tower, then everyone "bets" on everyone answers. We played several rounds with the in-laws, 6 teams, it was crazy.

 

Blogger Doug said ... (4:07 PM) : 

This reminds me of my college days with all night Risk, Monopoly and Poker games.

We were also very big fans of Steve Jackson Games such as Illuminati and Car Wars.

This year we also got my 10 year old a pack of Jukem Football Card Game which is a really great game to play with everyone.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (7:55 AM) : 

Doug, my wife banned Risk years ago because my son and i were too ultra competitive.

As a kid I used to play Monopoly for days with our neighbors.

I wonder what cause board games like these to go in and out of fashion over time. The are still good games.

Beth, I'll check that one out, sounds interesting...

 

post a comment