• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Friday, April 27, 2007

The Deadline

A few weeks ago I called a friend. And he apologized and asked my forgiveness. I was not even sure why, so let me explain.

We had been talking a few months earlier and when we finished, he said he would call me in a couple of days so we could finish our conversation. When I did not receive the call, I just figured something had come up. Since the need did not seem pressing, I did not push it and held no malice or ill thoughts. Then I had to call him about another unrelated matter.

When he heard my voice, he was glad I called. He confessed that he knew he missed "The Deadline" to call me, and then felt guilty and did not know how to respond. He said that as he thought about it, he just felt worse and worse and then was unable to make the call out of fear, or because he felt so bad.

I was blown away. Here was a guy I have admired for years, in a position I could not imagine, asking me to forgive him. For missing a phone call! I think I said don't worry about it, about all I could do at that moment because to me , it was no big deal. But it obviously weighed heavily on him.

I did not think a lot about that until now. Now I am wearing that same shoe and it does not feel good. I told another friend, Gary, a couple of weeks ago that I would call him the next day. And I never did. I too missed "The Deadline." And after a few days I began to feel horrible about it, but too ashamed to make the call. Confessing to screwing up is never easy. Sometimes I think it easier to do so with God than to a friend. Now those few days have stretched into weeks.

Gary, I am sorry I did not call you when I said I would. I either forgot or got busy and then after a few days, felt so bad I did not know what to say when I called. But that is no excuse. Please forgive me. I will call you Monday morning so we can talk.

dave

Comments on "The Deadline"

 

Blogger Mike's America said ... (4:15 PM) : 

I think you're friend felt bad needlessly.

I've got a friend who constantly says "I'll call you later" to finish that conversation and never does. I'm certainly not going to sit by the phone and wait.

P.S. No one is ever going to call you a "smarty pants liberal."

 

Blogger Mike's America said ... (4:22 PM) : 

P.S. Here's "Shakedown" reading "Green Eggs and Ham:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPxPciXcJvc

 

Blogger Cajun Tiger said ... (10:17 AM) : 

Thanks for stopping by my site...please come by any time!

 

Blogger Cajun Tiger said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Wait...I just noticed you are an Auburn grad...I may have to take back my open invitation ;) GEAUX LSU TIGERS!!!

Well...I guess I'll let you slide being you are trying to make up for that by working in missions! =)

fyi...I'm co-leading a team to Burundi from May 11 to May 27th...would appreciate your prayer support!

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (11:15 AM) : 

You got it Cajun. Actually, it is my son who is the Auburn grad. War Eagle!

 

post a comment