• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Off To Coffeelandia

As part of my work with Adventures in Life Ministry, I get to travel to many differet areas of both Mexico and the United States. One of those areas is the Pacific Northwest, which I like to call Coffeelandia. I use that term not because they grow the drug there, and believe me , it is a drug, but because it is so prevelant. I think coffee is the number two industry in the Portland area, right after tanning booths. Being from sunny Southern California, I am still trying to figure out the allure of a tanning booth, but that is another blog, possibly titled "Human Frying Pans."

Anyways, in the Northwest, coffee is a big deal. It's everywhere. On every corner, in every store, even where you would never expect it. I was in drycleaners one day and they offered me espresso with my laundry. I thought it would be a coupon or something, but no. It was a hot espresso, brewed right there in the drycleaners! Imagine that, I can have my coffee, stain my clothes, and get them cleaned all in the same place. How's that for convenience?

Perhaps my favorite locations are the mobile trailers on the street corners. In the rest of the country if you want a cup of joe, you go to a typical brick and mortar place, like Starbuck's or Caribou, go in and order your drink. But not here in Coffeelandia. These little trailers are all of 25 square feet. And some poor employee stands inside this box on wheels for their entire shift making coffee for people like me who drive up needing a fix. I've often wondered if they get claustrophobic.



Finally, if you really like good coffee, here's a great book that deserves to be on your shelf. Heck, it deserves to be right next to your old copies of "Coffee Journal" and close to your personal espresso machine. "Coffee Basics" by Knox and Huffaker. It is a great primer on coffee and has lots of good advice.

Can a latte be considered art?

Comments on "Off To Coffeelandia"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 AM) : 

Right up there with coffee and tanning booths is micro breweries and brew pubs. Portland is purported to be beer capital of the world based on pints brewed per person.

Tattoo parlors are right up there as well.

Welcome Dave, to civilization.

 

post a comment