• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

For the Love of Joe!

A few years ago, okay almost 15 years ago, I got into coffee. It was a ministry decision. Really. It was. I was serving in Mexico helping build churches and almost every night I had to sit down with a family or a pastor for dessert and inevitably they would drink coffee, which I hated.

On one particular weekend I went to a local restaurant in La Mision, about 60 miles south of San Diego, for dinner. After eating, the owner Dmytriw came over and asked if I would like to have a cup of good Mexican coffee. I was cold, and it sounded good so I said yes. It was wonderful and I was hooked. I learned later it was also spiked with Kahlua, but that did not matter. My love affair with java had begun and now I could drink coffee with my pastors, and be part of the club; leaders, men, God lovers, coffee drinkers.

Soon I was trying all types of coffee from every place imaginable. I remember the fear of going into one of those fancy coffee places and not knowing what to order. Heck, I was such a novice at this, I couldn't work the creamer thermos at most places. I would never take a refill at a coffee shop because it would always mess up my coffee, sugar, creme, mixture. But over time I learned.

Over the years I have had many great moments centered around coffee. I have been to a coffee plantation in Oaxaca and will be visiting another this year in Veracruz. I was taught how to roast coffee by Juan at a small coffee hut in Ensenada. I have listened to, prayed with, and shared with more people over coffee than I can count. I have been to coffee houses that would make you think of "Cheers", the Boston bar manned by Mayday Sam Malone and crazy Dianne. And I have had cappuchino from that famous Mexico City locale, El Jarocho.

But perhaps one of my favorite coffee moments was when I came across the magazine "Coffee Journal." It was published for one year in 1998 and it was fantastic. It came out quarterly, looked great, and had a host of good articles and resources. I still have the only 4 issues ever published. I reread them all each year and even make some of the great desserts that are featured.

Thank you great Briton for taxing tea. Without that small act, we might never have become the coffee country we are today.

Labels:

Comments on "For the Love of Joe!"

 

post a comment