• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

If you are like me, when you grew up, before you left the house on Saturday mornings, you watched cartoons. It seems like I met some of my best friends over a bowl of cold cereal and the sports page. Folks like Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, The Pink Panther, George Jetson, and many more. To this day, I still look back fondly at those times as days of innocence, joy, and just pure fun.One of my other favorites was a rather late entry into the cartoon wars, Scooby Doo. Scooby was a talking dog who helped his merry band of investigators solve untold mysteries while getting into all sorts of trouble. It was so popular, another character, Scrappy Doo came out of that cartoon, and recently a live action movie was made about all of them and their famous van, The Mystery Machine.

Last Saturday, I had the rare chance to enjoy a morning in bed watching cartoons. I grabbed my breakfast, the paper, and much to my surprise, Scooby Doo was on. But not the Scooby I knew! What I saw was a Scooby who could change into a dolphin, and was now some sort of adventure hero. Kids, this was definitely not your father's Scooby Doo.

Even the animation was horrible. I have posted both pictures here for you to compare, but I gots to tell ya, the newer hipper version looks like it was drawn by a five year old. I don't know, maybe I am just biased, but I miss the old hand drawn style of animation. The colors were more vivid, the characters moved better, and it just looked richer. I mean in this new stuff, there is absolutely no attention to the background, it's just all fuzz. Is it any wonder kids minds are numb? Look at the cartoons they have to watch.

Comments on "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?"

 

Blogger Patrick M said ... (8:11 PM) : 

Hadn't heard about that newest (and obviously crappy) Scooby Doo. I know there have been a few reincarnations of the gang (some almost watchable) but this is proof that there are far too many people who try to generate more stuff when all they have to do is rerun the old stuff.

Two other points:

1. It's the writing that matters, not necessarily the animation. The best toons, whether it be the old Bugs Bunny or anything that comes from the likes of Pixar, is great because they write on several levels, from simple gags for the kids to jokes only adults can get. Far too may shows spat out today are mindless attempts at cashing in on something. Watch a Pokemon episode and feel your brain dissolve.

2. Even classic cartoons are not immune to destruction by the dumbing down of TV. I've seen several Tom and Jerry cartoons where surgical cuts wor made to remove things like blackface and Chinese stereotypes, as well as the black housewife getting overdubbed to make her sound less ethnic. But the worst transgression is the banning of Speedy Gonzales by Cartoon Network for fear of offending Hispanics. I wish politics wouldn't infect my toons.

Also, this is why I only watch cable. I can find all the good cartoons that way and avoid the crap that has taken the place of my old Saturday morning cartoons.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Great points Patrick. I too have have seen what you have spoken about regarding the changing of classic cartoons.

 

Blogger Dionne said ... (5:11 PM) : 

I have long said that the newer cartoons pale in comparison to what we grew up on. There are so many that I watched that I consider classics and the stuff my kids watch has never been as good.

I think this has inspired me to do a fun cartoon post on the classic oldies cartoons.

 

post a comment