• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Yabba Dabba Doo

I've spent the last week or so working in my backyard. Well let me rephrase that a little. I've spent the last week working in the rock quarry known as my back yard. Technically it is called a desert landscape conversion area.

Living in Las Vegas, having a lush green carpet for a lawn is an expensive and really wasteful proposition. So instead of making choices between fescue, rye, or whatever other kind of grass is available, those of us enlightened folks in Las Vegas choose between champaign, sandstone, redrock, or aztec. Those are the predominant types of rocks available for us to use in landscaping our yards.

But first you must prepare your quarry, oops, I mean yard. You need to make sure the place is level and grass or weed free. You cover all of your existing dirt with a weed barrier so those pesky weed leftovers are not poking through your gravel when you are done. And you need to install drip irrigation to all of your desert friendly plants. [That's cactus type stuff for the uninitiated]

When that's done, you bring in the rock. Which is kind of funny. Because here in Vegas your land grows rock! This is an amazing place. No matter how hard I used to work on my lawn, it kept spitting up more rocks. I don't get it.

Yesterday we spread the gravel. We did it by hand because renting one of those things that Fred and Barney used was pretty spendy. Also, we went with the champaign colored rock because it seemed fitting in Vegas to have that color and, as a practical matter, it was few bucks less a ton. Yep, you read that right. We buy it by the ton. And this little 1400 square foot section took 12 tons. 24,000 pounds.

Oh, and did I mention my wife wanted a few boulders? We got four of those, at 250 pounds a piece. Enough rock to make Fred's boss Mr. Slate of the Bedrock Quarry a very rich man.

So now all I have left is to put in a few more plants, finish my drip lines, call the water company, and wait for my check. Because since I will no longer draining Lake Mead to try and keep a nice lush green carpet alive, they're gonna send me a nice fat check for being a crazy environmentalist.

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Comments on "Yabba Dabba Doo"

 

Blogger Patrick M said ... (1:34 PM) : 

well, without having to pay to keep up the grass, you can afford to buy more gas.

I'd go further, but you can guess where the rhymes would take me. Something about the government and a part of your body.

 

Blogger Mike's America said ... (12:44 PM) : 

I'm with you on ditching the grass. But anyone who thinks that an alternative landscape is more water friendly can pay my monthly bill.

P.S. Dave: was this a typo? "Sometimes even libs have god ideas."

 

post a comment