• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 03, 2008

Is It possible?

"You might be wrong." Those are the words of columnist Susan Nielsen in her opinion piece published last week in the Portland Oregonian. I read the article yesterday in the Dallas Morning News.

A blogging friend o' mine, Patrick, calls people Kool Aid drinkers if they fail to consider this possibility.

I found the article intriguing just a few days before what has become the latest most important election in our lifetimes. So follow the link and let me know what you think.

Beyond that, for anyone who cares, allow me a few words on tomorrows big event.

We'll be fine! That's right. Fine. No matter who wins. If we decide we want to be. You see, that is the bigger decision we are going to face. Because about 50% of us Wednesday are going to wake up losers. And the response over the next few years of that group will do more to determine the fate of the presidency of either John McCain or Barack Obama.

Our job in this democracy is to vote. And then support the winner. Yes you can be loyal opposition, but the constant sniping at every turn, from both parties, is not what I think our founding fathers had in mind.

John McCain is not going to keep us at war for 100 years. Barack Obama is not going to make the White House a den of terrorists. Sarah Palin is not going to set up her trailer at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. And Joe Biden is not going to gaffe us into some apocalyptic war.

We'll be fine.

So Tuesday, go vote. But remember, you might be wrong.

[If you liked the caricatures, more of John Cox' work can be found here.]

Comments on "Is It possible?"

 

Blogger Bullfrog said ... (9:27 AM) : 

Good point Dave. What keeps me even is remembering that ultimately God appoints leaders, so if He decides it is in His plan to make Obama President I need to accept that and do what I can.

I also agree whole-heartedly that whoever gets into office, we need to be gracious "losers" (I don't like calling it that) and keep any criticism constructive. Of course, I do expect the usual "I told you so's" for the next 4 years, I just don't plan to be one of them.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (11:34 AM) : 

Bullfrog, avoiding that urge to be Monday morning quarterbacks, I told you soers [my most recently invented word], or just complainers, all of course in the name of saving the republic or being the loyal opposition will be tough.

It is even harder for evangelical conservatives who understand scripture to say that God chooses, anoints, appoints, or ordains those in power to rule over us and thus when someone wins, it is within His [God's] will.

 

Blogger Pastor David Curtis said ... (12:58 PM) : 

Dave,

Don't you know that the whole election comes down to whether or not the Redskins win tonight. Which coincidently I need to have Santana Moss stay on the sidelines with his bad hammy if my fantasy team is going to at least get a tie for this week.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (4:17 PM) : 

David, I just picked up Campbell in a last ditch effort to beat Brian.

I need a big Redskin win.

 

Blogger Patrick M said ... (9:19 PM) : 

I'm just glad it's almost over so I can get ready to rip into whichever president we get stuck with.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (12:35 AM) : 

Patrick, you know you have to at least wait until whoever it is takes office.

 

Blogger repsac3 said ... (4:14 AM) : 

Great post, Dave.

That I might be wrong is a difficult thing to keep in mind, sometimes. Saying so shows weakness that others may exploit to their own ends.

But of course, it's always true, no matter who you are...

Ditto (as opposed to "dittos") for the fact that it'll all be reasonably ok, whatever the outcome. Neither candidate-become-President will destroy America as we know it. While Clinton was worse than some of you thought he would be, & Bush was worse than I thought he would be, we survived those "awful" years, and we will this time, too... Whatever we think of the particular captain, America's too large a ship to steer over the edge of the world in one or two Presidential terms, especially given those mates on the ship ready to mutiny at the slightest provocation.

Of course, I may be wrong...

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (6:56 AM) : 

repsac3, thanks for stopping by and the link. Now I'm outta here to go vote!

It's 7am in Vegas, a little breezy and as blue as can be. A great day to elect a president.

 

Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said ... (10:50 PM) : 

dave,

Just thought I'd pop over here to congratulate you on candidate's win.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (6:54 AM) : 

Thanks Wordsmith. I look forward to your reasoned perspective the next few years.

 

post a comment