• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Little League, High School Football, and $50 Million Bucks

As we head into another fall season of football, a couple of items caught my attention.

I was at my pastors house the other night and he was watching the Little League World Series on ESPN. Today I picked up a newspaper and sat down at Cici's Pizza for lunch and there it was again. 11 and 12 year old kids playing baseball on national television.

While watching, I opened the paper to the sports page and there at the bottom, just below the fold, was an article on a Texas high school spending over $50 million bucks on a new football stadium.

Maybe I am missing something, but this does not seem healthy to me. In an era of less spending on education, maybe spending that $50 million on educating that schools athletes might have been a better investment.

Perhaps things like kids playing baseball on national television and high schoolers playing football in $50 million dollar stadiums contributes to a mentality of privilege that tells athletes they can have it all, are above the law, and that the rules don't apply to them.

I don't know. What do you think?

Comments on "Little League, High School Football, and $50 Million Bucks"

 

Blogger Doug said ... (6:45 AM) : 

It does seem ridiculous but I believe the funds are from a capital building bond fund and not an educational fund.

Of course it is based on supply and demand and priorities of the community.

Canada has Hockey.

Europe has Soccer.

Texas has Football.

The economic theory here is that success in this will generate money elsewhere.

I just hope that any increase in revenues gets funneled back into the educational system and not just people’s egos and pockets.

 

Blogger Tim said ... (1:37 PM) : 

Hey Dave my son is on the JV team at his high school. I was unable to attend his first game but he was glad I missed it as they lost 41-6 (against my old high school, no less). Mom says he did good, knew the plays and made a good block. The damage was already done before he was put in to play, so I told him not to feel bad that they lost. A stadium for high school football seems way over the top. Our high school is very nice but the kids play outside.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (6:07 PM) : 

Tim and Doug, I know we never had that kind of $$$ available when I was in high school and we still had a number of top level athletes, [Tom Brunansky and Jason Giambi to name a couple] from our schools.

My question, even if a district has the funds is what message are we sending?

What is more important?

Sports or education?

 

Blogger tha malcontent said ... (5:01 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

post a comment