• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Skin Care Cream and the War on Terror...

Maybe we've gone a tad overboard.

This week I had to travel through the Big Sky State of Montana.  It's a great state with lots of scenery.  At least that's what I was told.  Smoke from nearby wildfires obscured most of the view and rendered the place looking like 1960's Los Angeles, so I couldn't see much.

Even a side trip to Yellowstone left me wondering why everyone is so enamored with the place.  I did not see a single bear like the ones I grew up dreaming were everywhere in the park, perhaps thanks to this Disney video.

But all of that aside, the thing that sticks in my memory was my airport experience on my way home.

It seems my tube of skin care lotion was a little over the legal size.  It came in at a whopping 4 ounces, one over the legal limit.  So they TSA guy in Helena tossed it in the trash.  He told me that if it wasn't so full, he'd have let me keep it, but because it was relatively new, it had to go in the trash.

Okay you might say, rules, or in this case, laws, are laws.  I get it, but if you fly as often as I do, you see exceptions made everyday.  I've seen people allowed to pass with unopened cans of soda, oversize toothpaste tubes and any number of exceptions.  It was obvious, or at least should have been, that i was just a regular Joe.

But on this day, I was once again singled out, just like the time I was found to be using Chapstick in Denver.  It was soon after 9/11 and I was spotted by a bright-eyed Delta Air employee who said I had to give up my Chapstick because back then it was still illegal to travel with it.

I am just wondering if anyone really thinks stopping a 50 something year old guy from traveling with some skin care cream is helping us win the war on terrorism.

 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Comments on "Skin Care Cream and the War on Terror..."

 

Blogger Will "take no prisoners" Hart said ... (9:37 PM) : 

It's absurd, Dave, and to answer your question, no, it isn't helping us win squat. I'm sure as hell glad that i don't fly.

 

Blogger dmarks said ... (6:47 AM) : 

Yes it is absurd. We need to focus more on the nests of terrorists in the Mideast and nearby regions and less on this.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (10:32 AM) : 

See, you guys get it... refreshing...

Here's what I wonder every time I am in an airport...

If a guy was going to use a bomb to create havoc and kill a lot of folks, why do we create a place where, by design, large numbers of people must congregate in our airports?

Isn't this, by definition a perfect target area?

Rules and regulations brought to us by people who have no clue. it's like when it was proposed to charge every person passing through our border gates $1.00 to pay for that service.

Another idea brought to you by someone who has never had to cross the border like us everyday folks...

 

Blogger dmarks said ... (4:25 AM) : 

By the way, Dave, care to weigh on on this recent blog post of mine?

http://inaholdingpattern.blogspot.com/2012/09/postcard-friendship-friday-old-mexico.html

I already know I identified the cattle wrong. How out-of-date is this for a scene in rural Mexico?

 

Blogger Tim said ... (6:14 PM) : 

I had an encounter a couple of weeks ago at a very large hospital that I service their equipment. There is a vendor kiosk that you sign in at. It prints a badge on a 8x11 piece of paper that you fold up and put in a plastic sleeve that you then clip on. There is a smartphone app that allows you to sign out when finished, so that you do not have to go back to the kiosk. The rent a cop behind the kiosk began to hand me the sleeve, which I told him that I would not be needing it, since I was not coming back to the kiosk because I would sign out via phone. In a very surly tone he insisted that I take the sleeve. I grabbed the sleeve from him and said "whatever", and began to walk away. He got all belligerent, raising his voice and said No! Not whatever! You have a problem following the rules!" Momentarily I lost my cool as well, also raising my voice: "What is you're problem!?! You are getting all over my case for saying whatever!?!" And I walked away. Two weeks later I get a call from the "Director of procurement and contracting" asking what my version of events was. I told him that I was fully complying with the man's request, and that he initiated the conflict by raising his voice for no reason and doing a power play to "show me who was in charge". The call was amicable, and the supervisor did say that this fellow was a bit "passionate" about enforcing the rules, and that if in the future there was a problem to please remain calm and call him if this happened again. I said "well, I think we both could have handled it better". Obviously, boarding a plane presents a greater opportunity to create mayhem than entering a hospital, but this whole cop wannbe culure is beginning to grate on everyone's nerves. Dave, I know that you are way more in control of your temper than I am (I am working on that, really :) ) So I'm sure you were much more pleasant than I was, but the irritation expressed in your post is exactly what I felt in my situation. Anyway, thanks for allowing me to vent.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (7:51 AM) : 

Tim, you're always welcome to vent here... especially when people take the letter of the law way past the spirit.

I went through Atlanta one day and an old guy put his lunch box on the x-ray machine.

The guy saw that he had a yogurt container inside that was 4 ounces.

he pointed out that it was illegal for him to have have that, so the old guy asked if he could just eat it.

The TSA guy said he could, but that he would have to exit to the other side, eat it there, and then wait in line again because he was in a secure area.

I bet that 70 something old man had some sort of bomb in his factory sealed yogurt.

 

Blogger BB-Idaho said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Ever wonder what they do with all
that 'contraband' stuff ?

 

Blogger Will "take no prisoners" Hart said ... (8:47 PM) : 

Now that's a good question.

 

Blogger Doug said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Ebay?

 

post a comment