• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 30, 2005

Looking Forward ~ 2006

Every year people come out with their best of lists, worst of lists, and a bunch of hard to keep New Years resolutions.  This year I decided to do something a little different.  I thought I’d share  a few things I’d really like to see happen in 2006.  They are not listed in any special order, I’ve just put them here for you to consider and enjoy.  I’d love your comments on any of them, by post or e-mail!

  1. No rain on our parade. ~ I live in So Cal.  The Rose Parade is an annual tradition for millions of people here, both in person and on television.  It has never rained on the parade in my lifetime.  I’d like to see that streak continue.

  2. Civility in government. ~ Years ago government service was viewed as a noble cause.  No more.  If we returned to a belief that we are all in this together, that sometimes people of the other political party have worthwhile viewpoints, and that all of our elected leaders are really interested in moving America forward, we’d be a lot better off.

  3. The Angels win another baseball pennant. ~ I did not join the bandwagon when the Angels finally won in 2002.  I have followed this team since the Bill Rigney days.  Another championship would be wonderful.

  4. People investing in people, not institutions. ~ Sounds pretty simple yet many folks choose not to find the time necessary to do this.  Imagine what the world would look like if each one of us did so, with our time, lives, and money.

  5. My son graduate from college. ~ I’ll admit there is some financial incentive here for me, but think about it, I was really proud when he graduated from High School.  I can’t wait to see him in his cap and gown as he graduates from Auburn University.

  6. USC as National Champions. ~ Maybe I’ll get this one early.

  7. Affordable health care. ~ As a missionary with Adventures in Life, I am not a millionaire.  That pretty much rules out buying any health insurance for me and my family, and yet, I am not poor.  What do the really poor people do?

Comments on "Looking Forward ~ 2006"

 

Blogger James & Emilee said ... (3:32 PM) : 

The really poor try not to get sick, and when they do, they work together as a family or by themselves and make payments on medical bills.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (6:19 PM) : 

Yeah james, ain't that the truth for all of us!

 

Blogger Tommy said ... (4:27 AM) : 

Dave, I'll pull for USC in football if you root, root, root for my Hoosiers in basketball!!
Happy New Year, brother. One of the highlights of 2005 was all the new friends I made, including you. May we meet before Glory but if not, look for me.

 

Blogger kansasscott said ... (3:13 PM) : 

Dave, sorry about the USC game. Well, not really.

As for health care, can't your church put you on their insurance, if they have a group policy, by having you as one of the missionaries they support? That technically can make you a staff person.

 

post a comment