• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Friday, December 16, 2005

Today, on All Things Considered

There are days when I hate learning something about myself.  Particularly when it is a tough lesson.  The other day I was in the car with my wife Chelle and we were listening to National Public Radio (NPR) on the radio.  I love NPR’s All Things Considered.  I found it one day about a million years ago when I lived in Las Vegas and have been listening ever since.  Cokie Roberts, Noah Adams, Scott Simon in a way, are good friends of mine.  Anyways, we were driving along and in this one story I heard a person being interviewed.  I had missed the intro, so I had no name to put with the voice.  And yet I recognized him.  It was Senator Trent Lott from Mississippi.  

He was talking about the devastation of the hurricane in his state and how tough it is going to be for the people to rebuild.  And that’s when it hit me.  I am a true political junkie!  Trent Lott?  I am from So Cal.  Sure I can recognize Arnold, our Gov., but Trent Lott?  So let me confess.  I love politics.  In fact if I was not in ministry, I’d try my hand in politics.  I read about it, follow it, and comment on it.  When there is an election, I actually read the ballot summaries and study the 50 initiatives that we always seem to be voting on in California.  I’ve even used a white board in a presentation just like NBC Newsman Tim Russert does on election nights.  But the voice of Trent Lott?  Hello group, my name is Dave, and I’m an addict!  

It seems to flow in my blood.  One of the greatest nights of the year for me is Election Night.   I host an election party for my friends and we watch the results come in together.  I get the television ready, get the food, set up a computer with internet hookup and off we go.  To follow the results and plot the future of the free world.  

But the reality of that is only starting to hit me as I am faced with some tough questions.  For all of my time, interest, and efforts, is the world a better place?  Does my interest in politics make much of an eternal difference in the lives of people around me?  Am I as tuned into the voice of God in my life as I am to politics?  When I am walking along the street and God is speaking, do I hear Him and recognize His voice?  Is it really possible that the voice of Trent Lott is sometimes more familiar to me than the voice of the Creator of all heaven and earth?

I am a missionary.  I serve in Mexico and pastors come to me for advice.  They seek out my counsel, and yet sometimes the voice of Trent Lott is more familiar to me than the voice of God.

I’ve got to work on that.  

Comments on "Today, on All Things Considered"

 

Blogger James & Emilee said ... (2:11 PM) : 

Its so true...we have sudden epiphanies. The ones about ourselves, however, usually do not bring merely a discovery but can many times bring painful change along with the introspection.

 

post a comment