• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Small, Medium, or Large?

Call it age. There are some things that just seem to tick me off. Things like a restaurant selling a Caesar Salad with iceberg lettuce instead of romaine. Low fat donuts are another. Does anyone eat those things? I mean, if you are going to kill yourself with a donut, why not go for the gusto and get the real thing? A few years back a friend and I had an obsession for apple fritters. They cost about a buck and I think they weighed about 2 pounds each. I cannot imagine a low calorie apple fritter. What’s the point?

Anyways, yesterday I went into Coffee Bean & Tea to get an Iced Latte. I was not real thirsty and only had a short time to devote to enjoying my drink so I ordered a small. Well guess what, they don’t have small. Only regular and large. What’s up with that? By definition wasn’t the regular small?

I am not sure you have noticed, but somewhere the Madison Avenue types have decided that it is not profitable to sell drinks in small, medium, and large sizes. I went into a Burger King Drive-thru one day and ordered a medium Coke. The girl said they only had Regular, Large, and Extra Large. When did medium become extinct? I wasn't even aware it was on the endangered species list! And when did the smallest size change to a regular?

Can you imagine the havoc if we were to apply this type of thinking to the rest of our daily lives? I am sorry sir, we have no small cars for sale, only regular cars. Are small cars irregular? Or I go into Target to buy a medium T-shirt and find out I now wear a large, but I'm the same size I used to be. What about the guy who used to buy extra large. Does he now have to buy humongous? What about asking for a small piece of cake at a party? Do you not get any because the hostess is only serving regular size slices?

Some days it just seems as if there are a bunch of smarty pants people somewhere trying to think up ways to confuse a lot of us regular folks who are just trying to make it through the day. When I order a medium soda, I want the one in the middle. And when I order small, I want the smallest one you have. I don’t care what you call them. It is not rocket science.

Comments on "Small, Medium, or Large?"

 

Blogger Burton said ... (3:39 PM) : 

i wanted to get an iced coffee at McDonald's, and they only have 24 or 44 ounce! Huge and Huger!

See you next weekend!

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (9:20 AM) : 

See what i mean!

 

post a comment