• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 17, 2008

Time Traveling

Ever take a trip back in time?

When I was in Mexico City recently, I stayed at in a hotel in Coyoacan. If you have read my last post, you know this is a fairly eclectic area, frequented by the intelligentsia of the capital.

Sometimes you never quite know what to expect from your hotel digs, especially when it is in another country. This time I was in for quite a surprise.

It seemed as if I had entered some kind of Austin Powers "Yeah Baby" Formicaland from the 60's.

Here are a couple of examples. The bar, television cabinet, desk, and drawers are all covered with the same ugly, or beautiful formica design [depending on your POV]. It was everywhere we looked. Except where all the mirrors were, which was on every wall.


Jon, one of my good friends is pictured here in front of the bar.

The highlight though was the bathroom. My first impression was the water. Now every hotel in Mexico gives you a couple of bottles of drinking water free, and this one was no different. But we did have a little something extra, mineral water. Very classy. And all in the bathroom as opposed to on the bar.


But I have saved the best for last. Along with the toilet, the place also had a bidet. That's french for "privates washer." Complete with both hot and cold running, oops, bubbling water shooting up like a fountain. Muy impresionante!


Not knowing the rules of this type of thing, of course I had to try it out. After taking off the seal of cleanliness and figuring out that it was best to sit facing the controls I... Well without giving you too much detail, let me just say, if you ever have a chance to experience one of these things, error on the side of cold!

Comments on "Time Traveling"

 

Blogger Patrick M said ... (1:11 PM) : 

Why we have yet to embrace the beauty and cleanliness of the bidet (with our obsession in cleaning everything else free of germs) simply mystifies me.

Trust me, there are plenty of times (and I'll be kind enough to include NO details) I could have used a stream of cleansing water directed at my particular orifice.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I hear it is good for kids too. The instructions on Wikipedia are hysterical.

 

Anonymous Lowell said ... (1:54 AM) : 

Bidets are just awesome. That's probably one of the best things I've discovered during my trip to Europe. I immediately bought one as soon as went back home! Got mine from http://products.mercola.com/toilet-bidet/

 

post a comment