• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, March 30, 2009

Today is the day!

AIL Mexico Coordinator Becca Freitag with Ely, Mariné [in pink] and Cesar

"Today is the day! I'm so happy, my friends are coming."

Those are the words of Mariné [pronounced maar ee nay], a friend of mine from Mexico who is like a daughter to me. She wrote those words on her Facebook page the day I was bringing a team of short term missionaries to serve at the church she and her husband Martin pastor.

I have known Mariné and her family for almost 20 years. Literally since I began a life of missions work in Mexico. I have watched her grow up, marry, and become a wonderful young mother. Her daughter, Berenice, calls me Abuelo Dr. House. Go figure.

Anyways, I was there this week hosting a team of short term missionaries from Los Angeles. They are part of the Asian American Christian Fellowship. This particular group has partnered with Martin and Mariné in ministry for about 6 years.


Now what I like about this group is this.

Their focus isn't on projects, like a lot of missions work in Mexico. Nor is it on telling people how sinful they are and how they are in danger of going to hell.

Their focus is on building and maintaining relationships. Relationships that lead to community.

Because those relationships, and that community, can be life changing. It is that life changing community that Luke talks about in Acts. A community where people share their lives, meals, and hopes for the future.

It is a community that is built over time and is connected through a series of intertwined relationships.

It is the type of community that leads Mariné to say "Today is the day! I'm so happy, my friends are coming."

As I think about Christian mission work in general, and Mexico in particular, I am challenged.

Challenged to be faithful to my calling to preach Christ and His message of the cross, and yet also to live the words of St Francis of Assissi who once said:

"In all things preach Christ, and when necessary, use words."

Comments on "Today is the day!"

 

Blogger James' Muse said ... (2:31 PM) : 

You do look like Dr. House. Never thought about that before, Daveed.

I love those guys! Emilee still wears the sweatshirt they gave her when they made her an "honorary asian." They have their heads on straight.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (2:36 PM) : 

James, I hope it is for my looks and not the touch of sarcasm I sometimes exhibit.

 

Blogger Shaw Kenawe said ... (4:13 PM) : 

Well that's a happy post I'm happy to read! There isn't a lot to be upbeat over these days, but this is one thing we can all cheer about!

 

Blogger James' Muse said ... (4:59 PM) : 

Its your looks Dave. Although your humor is at times similar, although your sarcasm not quite as biting.

Plus you aren't playing guessing games with people's lives at stake.

And you don't have a cane. Or a motorcycle.

 

post a comment