• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 09, 2009

Bend Over



Monday is a big day for me.

I am going in for a colonoscopy.

Yep, I am heading to the airport where in just a few short moments, someone I have never met will ask me to strip, x-ray me, and run their Star Trek Tricoder over my body. The process is much like the dreaded colonoscopy, only without the drugs.

And not nearly as effective. You see when the doctor takes a look, he may be saving your life.

When these guys take a look, they are supposed to be saving lives, but more often than not, it is just busy work. How else can you explain my adventure a few years back traveling around the US?

Answer me this. Haven't you ever wondered if these folks are even paying attention? Especially the people watching your bags go through whatever that machine is.

I mean, how vigilant can you be? Hours upon hours of seeing nothing but bags full of junk passing in front of you. Talk about needing cable to avoid reruns!

I'm surprised when they find anything.

But let's look at this logically. Since the FAA has determined that we must turn off all of our electronic gadgets for landing and take off, they must believe there is a real threat to the avionics of those planes in which we travel. Otherwise, they would never have that ban.

So why do we get to take these electronics on board at all? It's simple. Money. I have a good friend who says all you have to do is follow the money. And in this case, it is business interests. Can you imagine the havoc if we banned these potential weapons of terrorism from airplanes?

Anyways, I digress.

I am flying this week because I am part of the Fellowship of Short-Term Mission Leaders. Each year we get together to pray, dream, worship, and try to improve how we serve Christ, and others when we go, and take teams with us on short-term mission trips.

I've posted some of my thoughts on this over at my other blog titled "notes from dave."

I have learned a lot from this group of leaders and cannot imagine missing this annual gathering. It has really, in the words of Chuck Swindoll, improved my serve.

Now until I return, all kidding aside, guys, go get your colonoscopy, ladies, your mammograms. These tests really do save lives!

Comments on "Bend Over"

 

Blogger Tim said ... (8:46 AM) : 

I am so NOT looking forward to my colonoscopy in two years!
I am a Jet Setter as well. On Friday I crossed back into the US from Canada (via car). The back up was 1 1/2 hours. I bought some over the counter pain reliever (with 8 mg of codiene) and they told me I was only allowed 50 pills and not the 200 that come in the smallest bottle. They guy let me thru "this time, but don't do this again!" what a crock. I know for a fact that you are allowed 400 pills, as I have done this many times. Of course I did not argue with the shaved, bullet headed, armed, border guard. Still, you try to be honest (I handed him the bottle when he asked if I had anything to declare), and after waiting an hour to cross over he tells me "officially" I am supposed to drive back to Canada to dispose of them? Why can't HE JUST TAKE THEM? If I hear "since 9/11" one more time I'm going to puke.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Tim it sounds like you got one of my Mexico border guys up north.

1 1/2 hours at Tijuana is a breeze. I have waited up to 4 hours.

But hey, we're safer, aren't we?

Where did you cross?

 

Blogger Tim said ... (8:41 PM) : 

I crossed @ Sarnia-Port Huron. The Bluewater Bridge. At least I had a panoramic view of Lake Huron as I sat.

 

Blogger Shaw Kenawe said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Good luck, Dave. I wish I had come here earlier so you could read this.


I still double over laughing when I read it.

Good luck!

 

post a comment