• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Is There a Doctor in the House?


I need to see a doctor today.

I've been battling a bad sinus infection since I was in Oaxaca, Mexico and now my medicine is about out and I am not feeling much better.

The trouble is, a visit to the doctor costs about $100.00 these days.

I asked my wife to look up some other options and this is what she found out.

I can go to urgent care for about $75.00 and wait with some really sick folks for a few hours to get a new prescription. I can go to Walgreen's for about $60.00, or I can see my own doctor and have to endure all the normal medical stuff you face when you are over 50. In case you missed it, the last time I went in to see her for a sinus infection, she felt a need to check my prostate. I never prostate problems could cause a bad cold.

So here is what I am thinking. We need something like urgent care, but for guys. Maybe we can call it Murgent Care, urgent care for men.

First off, all visits are $50.00 or less. Second, they only treat, or check out what you tell them to check.

None of this treat the whole body crap. We're men, and we've learned to live with a certain level of pain and discomfort, so just leave that stuff alone. Just treat what we want you to treat.

"Yes, I know doctor I have a raging infection on my finger, but I've had that for three weeks now and can live with it. Besides, I need to get back to work so just give me something for the flu."

"No! I am not here to have my annual colonoscopy, I hurt my back yesterday and need some pain medicine."

"No sir, I am not going to loosen my pants! I am here to have a cut stitched up on my arm, you don't need to be checking out anything down there."

Why can't doctors understand this? Maybe it is different for a woman, but when a man goes to the doctor, he ain't going in for a full physical. He is going in because he is really sick. Men do not do checkups, we just want to get well and wait another 10 years before returning.

But apparently that option is not on the table these days, so I'll be off to some office where they will ask me why I am there, look at my throat, pretend to listen to my chest, check me for a hernia, and then write me that prescription.

Then I'll pay them a Benjamin, go to the pharmacy, and hopefully put off my next visit for another few years.

Murgent Care, urgent medical care for men. The time has come.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Is There a Doctor in the House?"

 

Blogger tha malcontent said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Dave I feel your pain I just had a similar thing happen to me this morning, after having a Karate session yesterday I banged my toe and I thought I broke it. I went to the food Doc this morning and he told me it was just a bad bang and to rest it for about a week, and didn't do anything.. Take an aspirin and pay me $75.00 please.

 

Blogger Leslie Parsley said ... (3:50 PM) : 

It's not just a male thing. Some pharmacies have small clinics for routine care and then there are the small independent clinics. Have been going through the same thing. No fun.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Mal, there is no cheap option...

When I was in Mexico, the doctor cost me $3.00 and the medicine $45.00...

Here, it is reversed, to our detriment, me thinks...

 

Blogger Tim said ... (2:04 PM) : 

She wanted to check your package, not your prostate : )

Can you sue her for fondling you against your will?

 

post a comment