• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Monday, January 16, 2006

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today as a country we celebrate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. If you search the blogosphere as I do, you will find many tributes to his work and life. Many of you will be familiar with the famous speech he gave in Washington D.C. It is posted here by Dennis McFadden. Another post comes from Tom Marker. He has published Dr. King's entire "Letter From A Birmingham Jail". Please take a few moments and read them.

Rather than try to add to the eloquence of these two messages, let me offer a few personal words. Thank you Dr. King. Your life gave a young white boy from suburbia the chance to meet and fall in love with the love of his life. In the mid 1970's, it was still pretty rare to see a mixed race couple. The family I am now a part of has enriched my life in ways beyond most peoples imagination, and for that I am grateful.

While there is still much to do in the area of civil rights, without a doubt, the work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. has made our world a better place.

Comments on "Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr."

 

Blogger Tommy said ... (10:51 AM) : 

It's easy forr Dennis and myself to hide behind the eloquence of Dr. King. But your expression is beautiful as well. Because it is from the heart.

 

Blogger revdrron said ... (9:10 AM) : 

I don’t know you but I appreciate your honest and practical response to an often volatile racial issue. I pastor a church with several racially mixed families. My eldest has been dating a really neat black woman for several years and my four nieces from an interracial marriage are unusually gifted, athletically and intellectually. One graduated from Harvard last Spring and another is attending Amherst. Three of them played Division I NCAA basketball at the prestigious schools they attended on full academic scholarships. The eldest will graduate form Medical school this Fall. I’m a proud father, uncle, friend and pastor to each. My own best friend and fellow disciple is linden Dungy (brother of Tony Dungy of recent public interest over the suicide of his son and the demise of his team in the Super bowl hunt)

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (10:44 AM) : 

Thanks Ron for stopping by. I hope you like what you see and stop by often. If so, give me link. Also, great picture, you look really relaxed!

Tom, I appreciate it.

Know that I check both of your blogs on a regular basis.

PS We'll be updating the AIL web site in the next month or so also. new look, design, etc.

 

post a comment