• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, September 27, 2007

I spent a few hours at the emergency room the other night. It was about midnight when my wife got me there and I was in as much pain as I have ever experienced in my life. It was if the upper part of my stomach was going to explode. I wasn't real worried until the doctor did an EKG and had a heart monitor hooked up. Then I got worried. I mean, a heart problem is a little more serious than a stomach issue. The bottom line... he did not think I had a heart attack, but he also had no real idea what caused my pain. Just once I want a doctor who is not practicing medicine and then maybe I can get a real answer.


For you politicos, O'Reilly is getting jobbed. His comments were not racist and for MSNBC or CNN to imply as much without also attacking Juan Williams, the black, liberal NPR White House reporter is totally disingenuous. For a great post on this, read Conservatism with Heart.


What is going on with inflation? I don't know about you but everywhere I shop, the prices are up. Gas is up almost 200% over the last two years. Heating oil is going to skyrocket this winter. Prices are up because delivery prices are up. Food costs more. Clothing is more expensive as is almost anything else you buy at the store. And yet we keep hearing that we are not experiencing inflation. Given the facts that we all know to be true, how can this be?

Here is a great family game. It is called Ticket to Ride. You basically build railroad lines across either the US or Europe in a competition against 2 to 5 other people. It is a great game, lots of fun, and even helps with geography. If you are one of those types of people that loves to play games with your family or friends, get this game. You'll be glad you did.

Living a life pleasing to Jesus can be really tough. In light of a biblical call to be on the side of the poor and disenfranchised of the world [personified in the life and teachings of Jesus], how does the Christian population of the US justify biblically the riches that we surround ourselves with every day? Even the poorest people in the US have more options and opportunity than most people in the developing world. I often wonder what God thinks of how we deal with that. Or if most of us even consider that as we go about our daily lives.

Comments on ""

 

Blogger Dionne said ... (10:20 PM) : 

Thanks for the link and sorry about your trip to the ER. Stuff like that can be scary and then to not know what caused it is even worse.

As for your last point about the poor and Christians having a lot. I think it is what we choose to do with the riches we have that makes the difference.

I don't think God wants us to sit around and feel guilty that we have it so good and to give up all our money that we've worked hard for just because so many others suffer. It won't help the suffering for us to feel guilty. It also isn't our fault that cruel dictators and other evil people are the reason that so many are poor and starving. We can all each only do a part and thats what God calls us to do.

I don't think needless guilt is ever what God intended. Although, to be honest it seems that liberals somehow think thats what is expected. Thats why we are supposed to let the government tax us to death so they can inefficiently attempt to help the poor. Just my 2 cents on the whole issue :-).

 

post a comment