The Mission Top Five
|Here it is and this week we have another pretender to the Top Five throne. Let's face it. The top four teams are virtually inseperable so everyone else in the country is fighting for the number five slot. Today that honor falls to West Virginia, who will probably lose this week. Gordon, I am sure that if Oregon wins their big Game Day battle against Cal in a couple of weeks, they just might finally crack the top five. |
The bigger question will come when one of the big four loses. Will pollsters drop them or will they acknowledge that even with a loss, these four are head and shoulders above the rest of the college football fraternity.
1. LSU (4-0) – LSU replaces USC at number one in part because of another strong performance against a ranked team and in part because of Ball St hanging 600 yards and 40 points on Nebraska making USC’s win last week a little less impressive.
2. USC (3-0) – Remember that the top 2 play for the title. There is little difference between numbers one and two. USC will get a stiff test on the road against Washington this week.
3. Oklahoma (4-0) – Another week, another 50 points. The streak may end against a stout Colorado defense this weekend, but an easy win will still be there for the taking.
4. Florida (4-0) – The defending national champs get their shot at revenge this week. Struggling Auburn is the opponent and my guess is that it will take some offensive touchdowns to pull the upset this year.
5. West Virginia (4-0) – This is the week for West Virginia. During this great run over the past few seasons, they still haven’t knocked off a highly ranked foe on the road. The win won’t be coming this week because the defense still hasn’t been tested and will fail this week.