• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Connecticut Adults Whiff in Little League Scandal


Jeremy Scott, pictured above in an AP photo, is too good for little league. At least that is what league officials are saying.

In a sport known for parental excess, youth baseball has finally crossed the line.

Apparently there are rules against being too good.

Nine year old Jeremy has been banned from competition because no one in the league can hit his fastball.

You see, the parents of the kids with somewhat lesser abilities, and league lawyer Peter Noble, are mad that their spoiled brats cannot win when Jeremy pitches.

Apparently he is so good that opposing coaches would rather forfeit the game than have their players face him.

So what did the league do in response to these opposing teams?

Did they sanction them for not playing? Did they take away another win? Did they penalize them in any way?

Nope. But they did disband Jeremy's team.

That's right. Instead of teaching our kids to work hard and improve, they are teaching them to run from tough competition. They are teaching kids that competition is only good when you can win.

Call me stupid if you want, but I find that idiotic. Whatever happened to doing your best, holding your head up and letting the chips fall where they may?

Can you imagine teams refusing to play the Dodgers in the 60's because Sandy Koufax was pitching? He too was literally unhittable but no one forfeited against them.

Maybe Tiger Woods should not be allowed to return to the PGA after his rehab. After all, he is clearly the best golfer around.

I'm still amazed anyone risked their egos getting in the pool to swim against Michael Phelps.

For all you supporters of the New Haven, the Connecticut Youth Baseball League, and their lawyer, Peter Noble, you have blown it.

You let your kids down and have succeeded in making the words of the Little League pledge, "I will try hard... but win or lose, I will always do my best." ring hollow.

Nice job, you just struck out!

**Update**

I also cross post most of my sports writings over at a site called Bleacher Report. Within a few hours of posting this article, which went out on Google New Services, a few visitors commented that I had my facts wrong and that this little issue did not involve Little League Baseball of Williamsport, the actual holder of the name Little League.

They are right. And for that reason I tried hard to make sure my article did not say it was Little League. Somehow though, I missed the title.

So, for all you lawyers out there, this is for you. The youth baseball league that I referenced, to my knowledge, is in no way, nor was I trying to imply that they were, affiliated with Little League Baseball, based in Williamsport, PA.

(anything you see here is my personal opinion. as always if ya like it, pass it along. if not, drag it into your trash can!)

Comments on "Connecticut Adults Whiff in Little League Scandal"

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (11:40 AM) : 

I am not sure this is political correctness.

I put it more on the my kids deserves to do whatever he wants, and the ends will justify whatever means I take to get him there.

I think this attitude contributes to the softening of America.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (9:57 AM) : 

Amern to that patrick!

 

post a comment