• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Buffalo, Wings, and Beef on a Weck


I have been on the road the last week of so. After a conference in Wisconsin, I traveled a little further east to Buffalo, New York, home of the famous Buffalo Chicken Wings.

Let me just say that this place has a list of must eat foods about a mile long.

Pizza, beer, wings, beer, beef on a weck, beer, and of course, more beer.

Once I got through the stuff above, I was talking to a guy and he gave me a list of other things I must try. Look like I'll have to go back. After I lose the 27 pounds I put on in my three days.

But let's start with the big one. It is what Buffalo is famous for. Chicken wings. From the Anchor Bar. You buy them in plates of 10, 20, or 50.

Anchor Bar is the original and in the minds of locals, the only place worth going. Get 'em extra crispy because they'll hold up to the sauce better and make sure they're hot, as in spicy. Dip away in blue cheese dressing, wipe your face about 50 times, and just enjoy the experience.

But it is not all about wings. Buffalo is also the home of a marvelous sandwich known locally as "Beef on a Weck." Weck is short for a Kummelweck roll. It's a little variation of the french roll and comes topped with caraway seeds and kosher salt. Add a pile of roast beef, horseradish, and a pickle and you've got it. Beef on a Weck.

We went to a place called Charlie the Butcher for ours. It is completely worth the trip, in my opinion, delivering a much better sandwich than the classic french dip from Philippe's in Los Angeles. And since the roll is a little smaller, you can get two sandwiches and experience daily special from Charlie.

Here's a few other pictures from my time in Buffalo. Enjoy!

[ 20 wings from the anchor bar ]

[ those same wings a few moments later ]

[ pizza from another Buffalo favorite, Nino's... you keep the wing box open so the steam does not make them soggy ]

Comments on "Buffalo, Wings, and Beef on a Weck"

 

Anonymous Paul Bembia said ... (3:13 PM) : 

Dave, I am honored to have been there to help devour those wings! People from Buffalo (locally known as Buffalonians) love it when out-of-towners have good things to say about our city, our people, and especially our food! Thanks again! Paul

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (3:42 PM) : 

Paul, they were fantastic. From now on in Vegas, I will be chiding local establishments who dare to think they have anything close to "Buffalo WIngs!"

 

Blogger Tim said ... (4:21 PM) : 

As I read this I am in Buffalo. Yesterday I had wings at the Anchor Bar, and today I had them at their arch rival, Duff's. I have to say that the wings were a dead heat as to which is better, but I like the atmosphere at Anchor Bar more.
I also just tour the Albright-Knox art gallery, which is a must for art lovers, and took a relaxing stroll around Hoyt Lake, which is absolutely beautiful this time of year. My only complaint is that I think some of the road are even worse than in Michigan (which I thought was impossible). Buffalo is also on the border with Ontario, just like my native Detroit. It feels a lot like home. I also love skiing at Holiday Valley and Bristol Mountain south of Rochester. I love NY!

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (4:34 PM) : 

Tim, I thought of you when I was there. I stayed with a good friend and his Dad is retired Coast Guard up there.

I did not get to Duff's, but many mentioned it.

I did get over to Niagra and I'll post a few of those pics later. The colors were spectacular.

Now if they could avoid all the snow...

 

Blogger Sue said ... (6:43 PM) : 

hey Dave, thanks for outting grandma zaza! what a bunch of crap! Is her photo a stolen one from facebook?? Good job!

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (9:44 PM) : 

My pleasure Sue...

 

Blogger Will "take no prisoners" Hart said ... (8:43 AM) : 

You should go on the professional eating tour, dude. I actually think that you can make some pretty big bucks doing that now. And they DO have a wing-eating subdivision (I believe).

 

Blogger Doug said ... (9:11 AM) : 

I just had to read this at lunch time while I was trying to decide what to have. It's like shopping when you're hungry.

Thanks a lot Dave.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (9:14 AM) : 

Will, there were three of us. And the wings were just a snack before the pizza from Nino's.

Besides, who wants to slam 3 dozen wings and not enjoy the taste.

 

Blogger dmarks said ... (4:31 PM) : 

Food all looks great. another great post.

 

Blogger Will "take no prisoners" Hart said ... (2:16 PM) : 

Yeah, you're right.....I could never really understand that "sport", to be honest with you.

 

post a comment