• Notes From Dave
  • my thoughts on some of the tough issues of short-term missions
  • God's Politics
  • jim wallis' smart, political, and God centered take on the issues of today
  • Progressive Eruptions
  • the liberal side of politics from shaw kenawe. a daily read of mine.
  • Conservatism With Heart
  • a conservative take on life and politics from a well connected missouri mom
  • Truthdig
  • left of center, and very informative. bob scheer's online journal
  • Coffee Klatch
  • home of the best coffee roaster in So. Cal. and where i learned to love coffee
  • The Coffee Geek
  • everything you need to know about coffee and how to make a great cup o' joe
  • Bleacher Report
  • varied sports blog, lots of attitude, and sometimes i'm a featured writer
  • Aubievegas
  • a mix of sports in general with a bent towards vegas and auburn
My Photo
Name:
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

I am a self proclaimed coffee addict and Executive Director of a non profit missions agency working primarily in the Mexican cities of Oaxaca, Guadalajara, and Ensenada. I've been married for over 30 years to Chelle, and we have one grown son, Joseph, a graduate of Auburn University in Alabama.

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Taking a Right Turn

[here i am in a little water soaked cave midway to the colorado river]

Sometimes you just need to get away from it all.

Legendary Marquette University basketball coach Al McGuire used to talk about his drive to the university each day. He talked about coming to a tee in the road where he could turn either left and head into the city, or right, and head out to the country.

The city held all the hustle and bustle, energy, noise, and electricity of thousands of people recognizing the famous coach. The country was where he could be alone in the quiet of the Wisconsin day, unknown in appearance to all but a few.

Usually he said, he took the left turn and headed into Milwaukee. But every so often, to keep his sanity, and reconnect with who he was, he turned right and headed straight for the quiet roads of the more rural areas of Wisconsin.

A couple of days ago, I did just that. No, I didn't go to Wisconsin, but I went hiking here in Las Vegas with my son. Far from the Strip, away from all the glitzy lights of the city, are places where you can walk and see nature as it has been shaped by thousands of years of evolution.

We headed out to Goldstrike Canyon, and took the three mile trail all the way to the Colorado River. My blogging friend Tim favors skiing, but for me, a chance to hike, in the warmth of the sun and scrmble over some incredible boulders is an incredible get away.

It is my right turn away from the city. Enjoy the pictures.

[here we are about half way down to the river]

[amazing how little water a cactus needs to flourish]



[the payoff is in sight, el rio colorado]

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Taking a Right Turn"

 

Blogger Tim said ... (1:31 PM) : 

I like hiking, too Dave. I am thinking of a Utah hiking trip sometime this year. That state is starting to grow on me.

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (1:59 PM) : 

Zion in the fall Tim... the colors are spectacular and the narrows is one of the best hikes in the west...

If the dates work, I'd love to join you...

 

Blogger Shaw Kenawe said ... (4:52 PM) : 

Great pictures. I hope to do some hiking soon. This inspires me.

 

Blogger BB-Idaho said ... (10:30 AM) : 

'Taking a right turn'
..oh, a hiking path; thought at first you were
joining the Tea Party!!

 

Blogger Dave Miller said ... (10:48 AM) : 

No BB, no tea allowed on my hikes!

Thanks Shaw, while we may have the green to see when we hike out here, it is just as beautiful in other ways!

 

Blogger Doug said ... (6:27 AM) : 

Last time I was out west for vacation and recreation, I was, like about 4 years old, (kids traveled for free back then) "thanks Mom and Dad" and I don't remember any of it.

This convinces me to add a Western Vacation to my bucket list.

Great Pics!

Thanks for sharing.

 

post a comment