The Mission Top Five
What a week for college football upsets. I am currently in Oregon and have noticed that the streets are a little less crowded. I think that is because of the ever present doom and gloom weather and the Oregon Ducks loss to Cal, many people have chosen instead to jump off of the nearest tall building. The Ducks almost made it but could not finish in their big game. So... sorry Gordon, but here is a little Disney love for your beloved team. USC on the other hand, did manage to eek out a win against Washington in a game where the Huskies almost had more penalty yards awarded to them than they gained. If SC continues to struggle, I am sure someone, maybe Cal, will knock them off. So here we go with this weeks Top Five, as always courtesy of Shadow Sports.
1. LSU (5-0) – The Tigers did nothing to harm their status as the number one team last week. This week they could solidify it.
2. USC (4-0) – That was about as ugly as it gets. Play that sloppy in the upcoming road games against Cal, Oregon, and Arizona St., and it’s curtains for the undefeated season.
3. Ohio St. (5-0) – Amazingly, the Buckeyes have jumped 20 spots from 23 to 3 in the last three weeks in these rankings. Part of that is the upsets, but part of that is the opening up of the offense starting at halftime of the Washington. They have the best chance of anyone other than LSU of remaining undefeated.
4. Cal (5-0) – Still having defensive problems, but there aren’t many teams with a better pair of wins than Tennessee and at Oregon if any (South Florida, maybe).
5. Boston College (5-0) – Boston College took the week off last week. The struggle with 1-AA UMass went largely unnoticed with all the upsets though.